PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
A while back I posted about a birthday present my grandma gave me - an heirloom meerschaum that accompanied my great grandad as his family migrated down under from Glasgow. Included in the gift was a photo of her pop (so my great great grandad). He was a Kendal man through and through; and opera singing painter-decorator who smoked a white dot.

Anyways, since getting the photo I thought it would be neat to track down a dunny to display next to it. I enlisted the help of @lightmybriar and he deduced that a shape 252 could look right. Last week I stumbled upon a 249, my understanding is that it’s more or less the same shape as a 252 except is a group 1 instead of 4.

It’s not $6…but $60 ain’t bad for a bruyere.

63D6FD8A-651F-4D64-95F1-C9DB0355185E.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Very cool! I missed your meer but would love to see it as well.

I’m curious where the hell you guys are finding all these cheap Dunhills. $60? That’s like Savinelli prices!
New Zealand is pretty much just one big yard sale for estate britwood.

Also to be fair, this pipe has a repair where the bowl and shank are connected. The fix was well done, and I’m not fussed as while I will smoke it, it’s more of a display piece. That said, I have found half a dozen or so dunnys down under. This was the second highest price I have paid for one, slightly more expensive was an unsmoked pipe still in its box. They normally go for $20-40.

Here’s the thread for the meer ✌?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021
A while back I posted about a birthday present my grandma gave me - an heirloom meerschaum that accompanied my great grandad as his family migrated down under from Glasgow. Included in the gift was a photo of her pop (so my great great grandad). He was a Kendal man through and through; and opera singing painter-decorator who smoked a white dot.

Anyways, since getting the photo I thought it would be neat to track down a dunny to display next to it. I enlisted the help of @lightmybriar and he deduced that a shape 252 could look right. Last week I stumbled upon a 249, my understanding is that it’s more or less the same shape as a 252 except is a group 1 instead of 4.

View attachment 99802
That’s a wonderful memory to display!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Best of all, back in his day, Dunhills were not wildly expensive. They were a premium pipe, but Kaywoodies were the tops and more expensive. The crazy marketing scheme by which Dunhills cost eight or ten times the price of other fine smokeable pipes came much later, in the early sixties and forward. It was a bit of brilliant snob appeal. In the company's place, I would have done it too, if I thought I could get away with it. They did, and still do.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

View attachment 99802
Nice pipe and what a bargain.

The pipe in the pic looks like a Billiard.
Your pipe has a wider bowl that I'd describe as a Pot.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
When 3 tins of tobacco cost the same as a Dunhill, I could see why the pipe prices would plummet as people drop the hobby. Very well done all around, congrats.
What blows me away is that I have seen corn cobs, falcons and system standard Petes go for more than this in the estate market here. Those are the pipes that people seem to fight over, and for most of the time leave me all alone in the britwood section