PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
Hello fellow pipe smokers!!!!

What has been bothering me lately is that I experience a kind of dry nose, in that it has the feeling of being stuffed, but it isn't, and it impedes my breathing from the nose!

When I inhale (air) I hear a kind of 'dry sound', added to feeling it.

I almost always exhale the smoke from the nose, and I'm an every-day pipe smoker (I do not inhale!).

Do these things have a connection?

I'm also allergic to dust etc and the most usual reaction is stuffed or dry nose, but I haven't been exposed to these allergens neither am I cold (at least I can't tell).

Did you ever had such an issue? Can it be smoking related?

I was an occasional pipe smoker until the last couple of months...

Can it be a side effect of this transition? (from occasional to regular smoker - I smoke 2 bowls a day tops though!)

Thank you in advance!

:puffpipe:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
It could be due to the smoke actually drying out the skin in your nose (an issue I have with some blends; I believe it is caused by the humectant in my case) - try using a simple saline spray after your bowl and see if that alleviates the issue, of course YMMV, but it works for me!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Saline spray should work well to alleviate your problems. I have the opposite problem and my nose always starts to drip as I smoke.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
Thank you all for your recommendations! I'm heading for the drugstore, to buy a saline spray and see how it works for me.

Weather was too dry lately, this sure made it even worse!

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I would just not exhale out my nose. some people say they can taste the tobacco better when they exhale out the nose, but i like my sense of smell. If it is drying out the membrains in your nasal passages its doing damage. How ever minimal, over time this can effect your sense of smell. and that will effect your taste buds as well. with out smell, ability to taste diminishes.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
jaywellington said:
Thank you all for your recommendations! I'm heading for the drugstore, to buy a saline spray and see how it works for me.

Weather was too dry lately, this sure made it even worse!
I would say weather plays a big role in what your experiencing. I live here in SC and it's warm one week, cold the next. The weather is messing with my sinuses for sure. It could just be the weather changing, you mentioned it's been dry. Also, the saline spary people are suggesting will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.