PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My daughter is traveling to Norway for holiday and had asked me for a list if what I might want her to search out. Any tobacco (especially plugs) that I should request?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Damn. OK. I think she is stopping for 2 days in Scotland and 1 day in Amsterdam. I just left a message. I was hoping that she could grab some plugs not available here.

rolferst

Lurker
May 14, 2016
Ask your daughter to have some fun instead. Tobacco selection is poor, shots are few and prices are aprox. 40 usd a tin of 50 gram. The AirPort offers McBaren Navy flake at aprox 20 usd for a tin of 100 gr or aprox. 30 usd ffor 250 gr. Of Scottish mixtuure. That is tax free.
Pipe smokers in Norway suffers...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There used to be a rolling tobacco called 'Birds Snitt' with a picture of sea gulls on the packet and by a little effort with a red felt tip pen you could change the 'n' into an 'h' and then you had a pack of......well you get the gist.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
:) Well, I imagine she is going to be having fun since that is the point of the trip. She asked and I thought a few pouches would be light and easy... But apparently not. In any case, the Birds Snitt sounds like the ticket...I am sure it will be unobtanium. No sweat in any case. My instructions will be if she runs into xyz, then grab, otherwise, no worries. This is her big trip before med school buries her with pressure and life becomes a tad more serious. Although, she was chosen to spend this past week at 4 different distilleries in Kentucky as part of her whiskey certification. She is one of the big time barkeeps in Dallas so it is not like she has been slaving the past year. The photos of the distillery and her choosing the barrels to have sent to Dallas are way cool.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Pretty funny that only a few miles off the coast of Denmark, what I consider one of the great centers of pipe-making at one time, now you have to pay $40 for a tin of tobacco that maybe cost $3.00 to make. The rest goes to the government.

happyturtle

Lurker
Jun 28, 2016
If she will be visiting Bergen there is an old style tobacconist store called Sørensen selling pipes and cigars. They have two house blends which they sell in tins - one Virginia/perique/kentucky flake and an aromatic mixture. Both are listed on tobaccoreviews with a staggering 1 review each.

Also, within a 5 minute walk from the shop lies a pipe workshop which is open for visitors on some days. Google tabago.no.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Although, she was chosen to spend this past week at 4 different distilleries in Kentucky as part of her whiskey certification.
Hey right in my backyard! Traipsing along the bourbon trail is very fun and I bet she got some great behind the scenes action.

If she got any photos from the distilleries I'd love to see some!

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
My daughter is backpacking in Norway now, and between her hikes, was staying in Bergen. She visited a Sørensen Tobakk AS, really enjoyed the atmosphere of this historic place. She bought 2 tins: Sørensen flake and cavendish.

I am skeptical that I'm able to produce any reasonable tobacco review, but will post some impression about this tobaccos.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I visited Sørensen Tobakk in Bergen back in 2010 while on a work trip. It seemed like all retail businesses in Bergen had very limited hours, but I finally caught them open one day. I had high expectations so I was a bit shocked by their selection and prices compared to US shops. Sørenesen is not a bad shop, I am just used to long hours, low prices and large inventories of American shops. I also expected a smoking lounge, but I did not find any indoor smoking areas while there either.
On a more positive note, Bergen is a beautiful city as well as Norway being a beautiful country. The people were very friendly and all spoke English.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not from Norway, but Peter Stokkebye from Denmark does offer a Norwegian blend:

"Stokkebye's Norwegian Blend is a fine-cut mix of mellow Virginias, Burley, and Oriental leaf, producing an easy Virginia-Burley smoke with a touch of Oriental blend spice." Sounds like a mild all-day leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.