PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Are there any members in the Northern Michigan area? Specifically Marquette? I'm a newbie but I'm looking to learn! I tried Google but all I could find were clubs from Marquette University (in Milwaukee WI) and various adds, among other useless results.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My cousin just graduated from Marquette. I've never been to the U.P. but have always wanted to. I hope you find a group to smoke with.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
I'm a couple hours south of you in Menominee. Welcome aboard, I'm fairly new here myself but it's a great community of people. Stick around and you'll be able to learn plenty!

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Middle of the mitten here, but I am thinking there was someone on earlier in the year from Marquette. Been a couple of years since I have been to Marquette. Is the Vierling still going? If only those walls could talk. You also have a pretty good carver up there in Lee Von Erck, give his pipes a look in a search engine.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
Verling is still going. I used to live in Marquette and work at the Verizon in the back of the Menards.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Wow thank you all for the responses!
Aaronbrill, my fiance is from Menominee and I visit there frequently! She grew up on 16th street a few blocks west of Jozwiak's. Perhaps Menominee would be a good place to host a club? It's not too far from Green Bay where I'm sure there are many enthusiasts.
And beewrangler2, as johnnyxpipe said, the Vierling is definitely still open and it's one of my favorite places. I enjoy their blueberry beer immensely.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
Austinxpipe is one of my long time friends, we worked together at a Verizon and went to NMU together.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
That is correct. Johnnyxpipe got me into this. I'm sure I'd know a lot more had they allowed us to smoke pipes while trying to sell cellphones in the back of a hardware store :)

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks Jud! I'll have to look into that more. Johnnyxpipe was telling me about him a while ago. Not being in the hobby at the time I thought "this is cool" and forgot about it not too long after. How cool to have such a distinguished artist so close!
And yes Puffy, it's darn frigid. I recall a few years ago we had snowfall in June. No big deal, right?

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I don't know if you visit YouTube much but there is a pipe presenter on YouTube who lives up in northern Michigan. His name is Jay and his channel name is dighsx. https://www.youtube.com/user/dighsx
I'm in central Michigan if you are ever traveling south shoot me a PM!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have friends in Marquette; he's an Ishpiming (sp?) lad,and she's from Birmingham. She has said it did take her awhile to adjust, but she did get there. They were just finishing building on hose on a bluff overlooking the lake, about 5miles out of town,when we last visited. Probably moved out there by now; were waiting for the kids to graduate HS. Wooded area,with lots of Federal and Indian land around them. Gorgeous.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I'm right in Marquette. I've only been smoking a few years so I don't know how much guidance I can provide, but It would be great to meet up for a bowl and maybe a game of cribbage! The hard part is finding a place to smoke?
@Jud, The Verling is just the tip of the Iceberg when it comes to Micro-brew in Marquette. Next time your up this way check out The Ore Dock on Spring street and Blackrocks on 3rd street. Great beer to be had at all 3 but the Verling is still my favorite!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Awesome, my schedule is pretty tight, but I'm definitely up for a bowl or two. And I also like micro-brew. PM me!

Status
Not open for further replies.