2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of a disclaimer before the review. When it comes to aromatic blends, I am accustomed to those that are blended with some Cavendish, so this blend was similar in terms of the pace of puff and overall approach. I smoke a variety of blends, rotating between straight Virginia/Burley, Latakia, and aromatics. In terms of aromatics, Lane's 1-Q is a benchmark for me, not because I think it is a great blend or that it is exceedingly high in overall quality, but in terms of my expectations for an aromatic blend. I keep a tobacco jar of 1-Q on hand for general aromatic puffing, and it seems to perform adequately in that function. All this to give you a better understanding of my specific position vis-a-vis blends in general and Nording's Labrador specifically.

Ok, so on the with the review. Labrador is my favorite out of the Nording aromatics, primarily because it reminds of what 1-Q could be with more careful blending and pressing. From the first 1/3 of the bowl I get the intended flavoring, and unlike the Pointer blend, I don't think the flavoring process creates a harshness in the tobacco.
In the bottom 2/3 of the bowl I get more of the flavor of the tobacco, which is particularly pleasant. Moreover, I still get a hint of the flavoring at least until I get to the bottom 1/3.
I recommend this as an alternative to those who are used to smoking aromatics blended with Cavendish and whose normal puff is a Lane/Stokkebyye blend. Not to say those are bad, my opinion is that they are inferior to the Labrador, primarily because you can enjoy the tobacco base to a greater degree than the regular bulk blends can offer.
I will purchase a few tins of Labrador to include in my regular rotation of aromatics alternative to the 1-Q.
As I said earlier, when smoking aromatics, I tend toward those that are blended with some Cavendish, so I needed to work through a few bowls of Pointer with an understanding that the pace of the puff and the underlying flavors would resemble more or a straight Virginia/Burley blend.
After 4 good smokes, I found it to be a fine, yet unremarkable blend. It does seem to benefit from a period of drying before smoking as it can be a bit harsh right out of the tin. Once I settled into the pace of the puff, I found it to be a agreeable smoke. It is mild and pleasant in aroma, but after 4 bowls I never quite got the flavor of the Virginia that I was hoping for. The Burley may be overwhelming the Virginia a bit here. This was especially evident as I got the bottom 1/3 of the bowl. Another factor may be that - as I understand it - Pointer is flavored with an alcohol/liquer, which, I think, brings out a harshness - particularly in the Burley. Burleys and Virginias can puff rather hot, and the alcohol exacerbates the heat and potential harshness.
While this is not a blend I will include in my regular rotation, I can see how it could be a favorite for some aromatic smokers, although for the price, I think equivalent Virginia/Burley blends by other blenders (I am thinking specifically of some of the blends by Russ Ouellette at Pipes and Cigars) may be a better choice.
But you should be the judge. My Cavendish experience orientation toward aromatics may be biasing my opinion here. Be forewarned though, Pointer must be puffed slowly to avoid tongue bite.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Labrador is some great stuff. I have spent some time the past few months experimenting with good aro's and that is one my favorites. I just gave the last of my tin to a friend who I am converting to a pipe smoker. He loves it as well.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Nording Retriever is my favorite. Then the Pointer. The other to aren't to my liking so far. But, I just put them away for awhile and come back to them when they've dried a little and try them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.