PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
I just bought an ebay Nording freehand with a "1" stamped on the bottom. A google search confirmed the Nording grading system has changed over the years and there appears to be different ratings for freehand pipes.
I like it regardless, but any explanation of where this pipe falls in terms of Nording quality?
nording

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here are my Nordings, I obviously have three.

But, I have no clue about the numbering system.

Maybe someone knows something.
MyNordingBrothers.jpg

Erick Nording #2

ErikNording2c.jpg

Nording Tinder Box Free Hand Sitter:

No number.

ErikNordingTBc.jpg

Erik Nording #4

ErikNording4a.jpg

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I believe they were graded 1 thru 4 in ascending order of grain quality.
He also uses a letter grading system, but I can't remember if that was before or after the number system. :?:

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
Lawrence, those are nice looking pipes! How do they smoke and fit in your rotation?
mlaug, so that means #1 is entry level and 4 is high grade?

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Yep.
I have a lot of Nording pipes that are 1s and 2s, plus a couple of lettered pipes, one being an F.
Its all rather confusing. I could never really tell there was that much difference in the grades, myself.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
It sounds like they all smoke great, I've never heard anyone say otherwise. Plus they hold a enormous amount of tobacco.

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
I have 5 of the nording hunting series pipes (i love them) and 4 of the freehand they all smoke great, i don't think

u can go wrong with any nording pipe.. have fun with them!!

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
I did a bit of googling and came up with this:
“Before the latest grading system it was a total free for all. Even Nording himself, I asked, doesn't remember exactly how it went.”
"The stamping of our products was not well organized from the

beginning but I remember that freehands were F, A, B, C + Extra, F

being poorest quality.”
“Nording grades pipes based on an couple of systems. The Danish styled

freehands, are given letters as grades - the lowest of which is the "F" grade. This is then followed by the "A", then "B" and so on.”
We produced a series 200-300-400-500 and 600,

200 being the poorest quality, eg 412 was quality 400, model 12.
“Nording grading system is as follows; 5 (the lowest - sandblasted),4,3,2,1(highest low grade),”
The current / modern Nording Grades:
“We now stamp handmades 11 up to 20, 20 being best quality.

Freehands 1,2,3,4.. with 1 being best quality"
“A, B, C, E (Extra),11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20. Totaling 20 grades.”
“The low grades run opposite of the norm, the "A" thru "E" are as high a grade briar and finish as the double digits in most cases but have military, push-in stems to save time and price to the consumer.”
If any of you can make sense of this, my hat’s off to you.
In any event, I bought the Nording because for some reason the look really appeals to me. I’ve never read a negative review of Nordings. No doubt, I‘ll be quite happy with the pipe. Bottom line is they’re meant to be enjoyed and over-analyzing and critiquing takes away from the enjoyment. I guess the best pipe is the pipe you like best.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I received this Nording pipe as a present from a good friend. I have never looked at the stamp till today it is stamped #2
I was at a pipe meet up last year and was smoking this pipe and one of the gentleman asked to look at my pipe.

He said that if this pipe where a Claudio Cavicchi or Castello it would be worth several hundred dollars.
I agree the grain on this Nording rivals many other pipes I have seen. and it is one of my best smokers to boot! :D
KVA1hhD

KVA1hhD

KVA1hhD

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I am having a devil of a time trying to post a photo of my nording?

what is the preferred imaging hosting web-site for this fourm?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
jeffro I upload to my album on this forum, then click the image to view full size, then right click on the image and “copy image address”. Then in your post, hit “IMG”, clear the http:/ that auto fills there, and paste the image address you copied previously. Hope that helps, I couldn’t figure it out for the longest time either.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Thank-you for this info mtwaller!I will try this.
Photos of my Nording freehand straight grain #2
img_e2610-2-450x600.jpg

img_e2611-2-600x450.jpg

img_e2612-2-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.