Noob Reviews: Peterson- Sweet Killarney (And a Little Extra)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Hello again everyone,

TobaccoReviews has this one listed as an aromatic comprised of Cavendish and Virginia, with caramel and cream as flavorings.

When I received this one I was excited. My second blend of tobacco, and after having enjoyed molto dolce, there was no shortage of anticipation.

The tin note was a little different. What was supposed to be caramel and cream came across more like diacetyl to me. For those who aren't aware, diacetyl is used in popcorn and other foods as a dairy flavoring (typically butter). Now, I am not saying that this is exactly what it was, I am saying that this is what it came across as to me. I felt a little disappointed, expecting something a little more on the dessert side of things. The room note was fairly strong and rather unpleasant. The tobacco was moist enough but not sopping wet. The actual taste was rather bland and dry. I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. Understandably, I was coming from a very sweet aromatic (Molto Dolce). Still, this one disappointed me.

I tried smoking it again today and got roughly the same result. It just isn't for me. I won't be buying this blend again. Unfortunately, it is the only tobacco I have left until this week. The good part about this experience is that it gave me a bit of insight into flavorings and blends. Perhaps it isn't much, but I have to start somewhere.

I forgot to mention last time that I am smoking out of a MM Legend 5th Avenue Straight. I am trying to iron out what tobacco I like before I buy a briar pipe. If I can get that right, I hope to give myself a Boswell poker for my birthday next year :)

On the great side of things, I have several tobaccos of different types coming in this week, including:

Non-Aromatics:

A & C Peterson Escudo Navy Flake
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
Dan Tobacco Treasures of Ireland: Shannon
Prebyterian
Peterson My Mixture 965

Aromatics

C & D Autumn Evening
Lane 1-Q
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic
Sutliff Creme Brulee
Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1957
Cult Blood Red Moon
Boswell Chocolate Cream
Boswell Bear Blend
Dan Tobacco- Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
CAO Eileen's Dream

Needless to say, I will have a lot of tobaccos to taste and eventually give feedback on. I probably won't be smoking until the new tobacco arrives, so patience is key now.

Let me know your thoughts!

Happy Puffing!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I'm not a big aro smoker so can't comment on those selections other than Autumn Evening which I did not like at all. Now as for the non aros....you are going to enjoy those treasures. Very good choices. I can't say which you will like more as they are all solid blends.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I'm not a big aro smoker so can't comment on those selections other than Autumn Evening which I did not like at all. Now as for the non aros....you are going to enjoy those treasures. Very good choices. I can't say which you will like more as they are all solid blends.

Thanks, for some reason I am most excited for Old Dark Fired on the non-aro side!

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
In your list of fresh arrivals, I think you have a fine list and a great deal of tasting to look forward to! I'd like to recommend to you to pick up another cob or two, so that you can keep your presbyterian and 965 out of the pipe you want to smoke aromatics from.

Reactions: Lawyer66

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
In your list of fresh arrivals, I think you have a fine list and a great deal of tasting to look forward to! I'd like to recommend to you to pick up another cob or two, so that you can keep your presbyterian and 965 out of the pipe you want to smoke aromatics from.

I agree, I did get a second cob for non-aro's in the same order I got the Sweet Killarney in. With cobs, it's too cheap not to? Thanks!

Reactions: Jacob74
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Yep I agree that you may find that if you dry these aromatics until almost crispy you'll find more flavor. I'm not saying that you won't lose some total flavor from drying them.. but the smoking will be so much easier that you will get more flavor.

I've found that my thoughts about a blend after 2 or 3 bowls Is subject to change after 4 or 5.. many times a blend has clicked for me with just a couple bowls left in the tin.

Just some non-expert advice from someone who bought a bunch of aromatics at first, and had trouble really enjoying them.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If you like those Boswell’s blends you should try their Raspberry Cream and their Cupcake. Those are my favorite aros from them. I’ll be honest though, I have really enjoyed the Wilke’s aros more than any others. Their #191 and Rum & Maple are outstanding.
On the non-aromatic side, Old Dark Fired is the winner out of your choices in my opinion. For a Navy Flake, I think you ought to try Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake and/or Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Both are available as bulk, for a lot less $$ than Escudo, and are great blends. Luxury Navy Flake is a great one to age, too.
For English/Balkan, I’d definitely add some Arango Balkan Supreme. It’s not too expensive, it’s available as bulk, and it stomps the hell out of most other English/Balkan blends out there that cost a lot more money
For a good VaPer that’s not considered a Navy Flake, I would recommend Sutliff Match Victorian.
You should add a Burley blend or two. I’d recommend either Carter Hall or Sutliff Chatham Manor to start, as those are really mellow. Sometimes Burley can come on a little strong for some smokers at first. C&D Pegasus is another good one, though a slight bit stronger.

At any rate, you’ve got plenty of blends to try out. You ought to be able to get a feel for at least a couple of genres with what you have. Plenty of time to sample around. ?

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
If you like those Boswell’s blends you should try their Raspberry Cream and their Cupcake. Those are my favorite aros from them. I’ll be honest though, I have really enjoyed the Wilke’s aros more than any others. Their #191 and Rum & Maple are outstanding.
On the non-aromatic side, Old Dark Fired is the winner out of your choices in my opinion. For a Navy Flake, I think you ought to try Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake and/or Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Both are available as bulk, for a lot less $$ than Escudo, and are great blends. Luxury Navy Flake is a great one to age, too.
For English/Balkan, I’d definitely add some Arango Balkan Supreme. It’s not too expensive, it’s available as bulk, and it stomps the hell out of most other English/Balkan blends out there that cost a lot more money
For a good VaPer that’s not considered a Navy Flake, I would recommend Sutliff Match Victorian.
You should add a Burley blend or two. I’d recommend either Carter Hall or Sutliff Chatham Manor to start, as those are really mellow. Sometimes Burley can come on a little strong for some smokers at first. C&D Pegasus is another good one, though a slight bit stronger.

At any rate, you’ve got plenty of blends to try out. You ought to be able to get a feel for at least a couple of genres with what you have. Plenty of time to sample around. ?

I am going to check out these suggestions as soon as I can, thank you!

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
the Peterson aromatics seem to do a lot better after a month in a jar. In fact I don't like them right out of the tin very much at all but after a little while they get pretty good.
I've thought about this a little more and did some research. I think the overall flavoring of the blend may do well with some time in the jar, as you've instructed. However, I believe that my main problem with this blend is its overall composition and my lack of experience/patience. See, I loved Molto Dolce, it never really bit that I can remember, and didn't burn too hot. I think that was due to the predominance of black cavendish and burley which seemed to calm down the Virginia, and provide less of it for me to burn up lol. I do note it was a much more moist blend. Still, I think my next learning curve may be learning to smoke Virginia prevalent blends without them running too hot. Think I may be onto something here?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've thought about this a little more and did some research. I think the overall flavoring of the blend may do well with some time in the jar, as you've instructed. However, I believe that my main problem with this blend is its overall composition and my lack of experience/patience. See, I loved Molto Dolce, it never really bit that I can remember, and didn't burn too hot. I think that was due to the predominance of black cavendish and burley which seemed to calm down the Virginia, and provide less of it for me to burn up lol. I do note it was a much more moist blend. Still, I think my next learning curve may be learning to smoke Virginia prevalent blends without them running too hot. Think I may be onto something here?
seriously I forget that you can get bit by a pipe. And the Peterson aros will bite me. They're the worst in my opinion as far as bite goes. If you want to learn how to not get bit there are a few things, dry out the tobacco a bit the amount is a personal preference kind of like how hot your coffee should be there is a window but where in that window is personal, and sip sip sip not puff. It is easier to think sip the pipe then it is to think slow down. I also reccomend trying breath smoking not because I like smoking that way while plenty do (ask chasing Embers about it and he'll proudly show you some video by an idiot [just teasing him, he needs it]) but because it shows you how little force is required to smoke and enjoy a pipe. Also like riding a bike or sewing or any skill biggest thing is practice and time.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
seriously I forget that you can get bit by a pipe. And the Peterson aros will bite me. They're the worst in my opinion as far as bite goes. If you want to learn how to not get bit there are a few things, dry out the tobacco a bit the amount is a personal preference kind of like how hot your coffee should be there is a window but where in that window is personal, and sip sip sip not puff. It is easier to think sip the pipe then it is to think slow down. I also reccomend trying breath smoking not because I like smoking that way while plenty do (ask chasing Embers about it and he'll proudly show you some video by an idiot [just teasing him, he needs it]) but because it shows you how little force is required to smoke and enjoy a pipe. Also like riding a bike or sewing or any skill biggest thing is practice and time.
Interestingly enough, it was Muttnchop Piper's video on the breath method that spurred my interest in giving pipes another go. I will definitely practice this method and sipping. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Followed your advice this evening and I was actually able to enjoy this blend a lot more. It still isn't necessarily my type, but I could grow an appreciation for it. I tasted the caramel flavor of the tobacco, it was nuanced a bit differently. I am just glad to be actually learning how to enjoy the smoking experience. I have another aromatic coming in that is a virginia cavendish blend(SVH), and I feel more confident that I will enjoy it now.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Followed your advice this evening and I was actually able to enjoy this blend a lot more. It still isn't necessarily my type, but I could grow an appreciation for it. I tasted the caramel flavor of the tobacco, it was nuanced a bit differently. I am just glad to be actually learning how to enjoy the smoking experience. I have another aromatic coming in that is a virginia cavendish blend(SVH), and I feel more confident that I will enjoy it now.
That's awesome. When I got the same advice ages ago when I was 16 (now 42 and a half now) they told me you're not screwing the pipe you want to make love with the pipe. It was an odd way to put it but it made sense. Though I think sipping translates better. As far as the Peterson's aromatics (the ones I've tried) they're all good but none of them have left me craving more. University flake on the other hand is one of my all time favorites and the one that introduced me to tobacco forward blends. It's funny there are really only a few blends I don't like but there are many that I can certainly live without.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.