PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
This one is my first pipe tobacco and by extension my first review.

I have now been smoking this blend for a few days. It is my first tobacco bought on the premise of wanting something "super sweet". Smokingpipes didnt have DTM SVH so I opted for Molto Dolce instead.

This is a very enjoyable smoke for me. I dipped my toes into the pipe smoking waters a few years ago and didn't have the patience or understanding to appreciate this fine hobby. With this tobacco, I adopted a different approach to smoking and enjoying a pipe. Here are my thoughts...

Firstly the tin note is fantastic. It smells of vanilla, caramel, and honey. Very sweet and strong aroma. It packs fairly well although it is a pretty oily tobacco and you will want to wipe your fingers after packing it. Took the false light pretty well and the final light held on for a while, though I did relight once or twice towards the bottom. The room note is very nice, my s/o loves the scent and so do I.

For the first bowl I smoked, I didn't really recognize any flavors. After a few days of smoking it, I noticed that the flavors of vanilla and caramel can be identified when retro-haling. I am not sure I tasted honey, however, what flavors I could identify were fairly consistent throughout the smoke. This was a great choice for my first aromatic. However, I noticed that most of the actual tobacco flavors were fairly muted, which didn't really take away from the smoke for me.

This blend opened me up to trying more tobaccos and enjoying the hobby. I have recently purchased several english blends and a couple more aromatics. My curiosity has been aroused as I want to now understand the different flavor profiles of aromatics and English blends.

As stated, this was my first review so go easy lol. I look forward to writing more and will definitely be purchasing more Molto Dolce sometime soon.

Happy puffing!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice review. I love Molto Dolce straight out of the tin, no drying time. I enjoy the snap, crackle and pop of the tobacco as I smoke it. I get the taste of raisins when I smoke it. I don't smoke it often, but when I do, it's always enjoyable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member sent me a sample of MD. It is really like a dessert, more flavorings than tobacco taste, but certainly an interesting experience. It's probably a good first blend, since it lets you down easy, and tobacco itself can be a kind of acquired taste, like coffee or beer. It will be interesting to see if your enjoyment of it remains after you smoke more tobacco-centered blends. For a flavored tobacco that lets you taste more of the leaf, I might recommend Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs, available in a pouch so you can sample it without buying a tub.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This one is my first pipe tobacco and by extension my first review.

As stated, this was my first review so go easy lol. I look forward to writing more and will definitely be purchasing more Molto Dolce sometime soon.

Happy puffing!
Nice this tells me what I need to know to see if I would be interested in purchasing and smoking this blend. The answer is no that isn't up my alley. But I certain feel like I have a solid idea of what I would be getting into if I did happen to smoke this one.

Reactions: Lawyer66

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Terrific review - thanks!

I'm a fan of Sutliff Molto Dolce & also Creme Brûlée, which may be the bulk (& cheaper) version.
A similar flavor profile with in my experience less topping is Panna Cotta.

All three also make great blenders.
I'll use just a smidge to sweeten up a variety of non-aromatics that become for me a bit blah.

Reactions: Lawyer66 and scloyd

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Terrific review - thanks!

I'm a fan of Sutliff Molto Dolce & also Creme Brûlée, which may be the bulk (& cheaper) version.
A similar flavor profile with in my experience less topping is Panna Cotta.

All three also make great blenders.
I'll use just a smidge to sweeten up a variety of non-aromatics that become for me a bit blah.

I actually didn't think of that, thanks for suggesting. I just received tobacco that fits this criteria :LOL:

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Probably my favorite aro. Great tin and room note. Leaves the bowl wet and ghosted with aroma forever. Mixes well with rum as a cleaning agent.

Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.