PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Hi, I started on pipes in 89 with a few of my navy pals and loved it. I've been out of touch for 20 years. I went to the pipe shop in the mall. The guy said my old Savenelli was a good pipe. He sold me some pipe cleaner but said it didn't need anything and I was good to go as is. I cleaned it anyway. I've tried various pipe tobacco's from their shop for several months. About 6 bowls in all. Nothing tastes good. Everything bites. I went to a small cigar shop and they recommended I try a quality pipe tobacco like Dunhill, Davidoff, or Peterson. I looked online and just about lost it with the variety! I thought about starting with three different sampler tins of Dunhill. Aromatic? English? Morning? Evening ... ? Again, I'm lost. I intend to be mostly an end of day evening smoker. No bite, nice room smell. Nice in the mouth. Any help would be appreciated.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Of the brands your small cigar shop mentioned, assuming they have these in stock, I would recommend Davidoff Flake Medallions and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe or Mixture 965. I think all three would be to your satisfaction and expose you to different style of pipe tobacco.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
another option if you don't mind going online for it is to grab a sampler from one of the sponsor sites(most have them) Pipes and cigars has a "Victory Lap Sampler" that is four bags of 2 oz each of different tobacco's best I can tell is it's their highest rated bulk tobaccos in each of the four major food groups

Jul 12, 2011
Aromatics are very good, and I smoke some (Boswell's ) but

find the extra moisture and smoking speed will play into them

bite'in ya good...try some Flake; Vs, VaPers/VaBurs and some

English/Balkan blends to start/more forgiving while learning ;
Some suggestions;
English/Balkans:

MC Froggies

Dunhill's EMP and Nightcap

SPC's Plum pudding & Seattle evening

H&H's Black house & Mag Opus
Vs;

Dunhill Flake

F&T's CVP

Wessex Dark flake
VaPer:

SG's St James

Escudo

MC's St James Woods

L.J. Peretti's London flake
VaBur:

Peterson's UF

MB's ODF

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hello, clynch, and welcome!
I'm a fellow pipe n00b (started in December 2012), and I would second rothnh's opinion above. I've smoked maybe a dozen bowls (mostly aromatics) so far, and it's only on the last couple that I've managed to avoid tongue bite - and I know I'm puffing a lot more quickly than more experienced pipe smokers. As I slow down, relax more, and take my time, the tobacco gets better. Or at least the Vermont Meat Candy did... :D I'll have to try the Berry Nice again sometime and see if that one improves with better technique - it didn't do much for me on the initial bowl.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Great advice. It all sounds good. I'll blend it togather. I purchased 3 recommended tobacco's. I'll slow down. I'll purchase a 2nd pipe so I can atleast switch off. Tinderbox has some nice estate pipes as well as a box of less expensive estate pipes. I'm sure I can find something decent in there. From what I read people love their less expensive pipes as well as the expensive ones. I'll also keep reading the various posts. There's a wealth of information in this forum. Thanks again!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
clynch:
You mentioned that the store sold you "pipe cleaner." I'm assuming you mean that, and not "pipe cleaners." If so, that may be part of your problem. I've found that commercial "pipe sweetener/cleaner" solution can ruin the taste of a pipe. I don't know how they get on the market, but I would strongly urge you not to use them. They are, in a word, repugnant.
When you get to the point where you're needing a pipe-cleaning solution, many of us here rely on high-alcohol beverages such as Bacardi 151 and Everclear; these are high enough in alcohol to cut through the tars that build up in a pipe over time. And they can do it without leaving any bad chemical taste. (There are lots of other threads here about how to thoroughly clean a pipe. It's something I do to all of my pipes twice a year, relying just on pipe cleaners the rest of the time. Others are much more obsessive. :) )
Of course, if you meant "pipe cleaners," feel free to disregard all of that! :)
Finally, you mentioned in your OP that you were looking for "a nice room smell." That typically means an aromatic. The downside is that many aromatics smell great to those around us, but taste like nothing to the actual smoker. In addition, because of the flavorings that are added to give them their great aromas, they can tend to burn hot, wet, and bite. (In case it's not clear, I'm not an aromatic fan!) There may be some really good "compromise" blends that deliver a pleasing room note while still satisfying the smoker. (Suggestions, anyone?) But if you want satisfying flavor, I think you're best off in the non-aromatic world of English blends, Virginias, Virginia/burley flakes, etc.
Bob

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I am so glad I joined this forum! I'll avoid the aromatics for now, staying with a simple quality pipe tobacco. I'll also put aside the pipemasters clean and cure liquid. I drew air through the empty bowl. Of course it tastes a bit like a pipe bowl and was not too pleasing on the tip of my tongue. I don't know if that is normal or not. I'll give it a bacardi clean. Lastly, my savanelli has the balsa wood filters. I haven't been using them. I can't imagine what they do. I suppose the smoke would just go around them as they are triangular in shape. Perhaps their sole purpose is to stop the last bit of ash. Any suggestions on the balsa wood filters? Thanks again for the help.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Those wood filters are designed to soak up the moisture in your smokes. The balsa wood is very absorbant.
You won't need anything to stop the last bit of ash unless you puff like a jet engine. It's just not going to happen if you smoke slow and gently.
A lot of people love the balsa wood filters. I havn't tried them yet but wouldn't rule out that they do what they're intended to.
I think you can clean them... I don't recall how that would go. But I imagine some water and a few rubs with the fingers and letting them dry out for a while.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
If you are looking for an aromatic, I would suggest Peterson's Sunset Breeze. It is cased with amaretto, my understanding is that the tobacco is a high quality and it is the only aro I've smoked that actually has a flavour similar to the room note. I can actually pick out the amaretto flavouring in the smoke itself, go slow though or it may bite you.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I haven't been using the balsa filter or an insert. I would think I might have increased the draw which would increase the burn and heat on my tongue. I'll try the filter. I used to use them looong ago.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
The balsa wood absorbs the Wet,Hot,,steam that is burning your tongue. Try slowing down.Taste is better with cooler smoke.1Q is a good aro, as is rlp6, Boswells many aros and BCA. Hope this helps,good smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.