PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Finally got to playing with a plug. Read advice from this forum and went with Peterson Perfect Plug. Shaved some off and then broke it up with my fingers. Nothing awesome about the tin aroma. I usually love tin aroma on almost anything so this was a bit off putting. I let it dry out for three hours. It lit easily and well. The taste was stronger than the Virginias I have tried such as Capstan Blue. Stronger darker fruit taste. I personally feel the stronger fruit taste is better than lighter fruit. Not as sharp or acidic. Sweet? Not really. I smoked it for 15 minutes and now I'm taking a break. Lit it back up. No problems on the relight , and, it stays lit. I'm deliberately going slow and trying to sip. Enjoyed it for 20 minutes. Put it down and went back to yard work. Hit it up again. I can now see where people get words like raisin and plum. No issues staying lit for me. All in all the bowl lasted over an hour. I am very pleased with this tobacco. I've tried about 16 other types of well known tobaccos in the last few months. As a noob I tried to stay on the lighter side. Been a wonderful journey so far but this one stands out for a good mouth taste after the smoke without any residual yuck on my palate. I'm not experienced enough to do a proper review. If you are new to plugs this would be a good place to start. After this I need to try Sparkplug.

Attachments

• 3 P 1.jpg
    3 P 1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 29
  • 3 P 2.jpg
    3 P 2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 27
  • 3 p 3.jpg
    3 p 3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 27
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I picked up some 3P's with the recent Peterson sale but haven't cracked one yet.

I did recently open a Cascadia plug and am enjoying it, but wouldn't necessarily buy this one again (I picked up each of the 5 offerings).

If you like plugs, pick up a noodle press and try making your own. Once I get things in order (shortly, I hope), I intend on making plugs out of Victorian Match as well as blending my own (with little hope for an amazing house plug).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
3P’s is a wonderful tobacco! I love the stuff! I’m glad to hear your first go at it was a pleasant one, it will only get better from here on out as you get more familiar with it. Plug cuts are by far my favorite, I rarely purchase tobaccos anymore but I always wished more plugs were available, some that left the market right when I started getting into plugs that were excellent were, Warrior Plug, Velvan Plug & Erinmore Plug. Luckily I was able to get plenty Warrior before they got rid of that one. I highly recommend Condor Plug too, it’s expensive because you have to buy it from Ireland (I think you still can?). Even though it may not be what it once was, I’ve tried both the Polish version and the Irish version and I still highly recommend giving the Polish version a try, it’s still really good in my opinion.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I picked up some 3P's with the recent Peterson sale but haven't cracked one yet.

I did recently open a Cascadia plug and am enjoying it, but wouldn't necessarily buy this one again (I picked up each of the 5 offerings).

If you like plugs, pick up a noodle press and try making your own. Once I get things in order (shortly, I hope), I intend on making plugs out of Victorian Match as well as blending my own (with little hope for an amazing house plug).
Noodle press? I gotta look into that! I enjoyed chopping up the plug very much.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Noodle press? I gotta look into that! I enjoyed chopping up the plug very much.
There are instructions in another thread, but microwave the tobacco in a baggie or bowl for about 20 seconds, toss into the press and tighten. Tighten again a few hours later, then daily for about 5-7 days for a handmade plug (noting some liquid may seep out, but you did it correctly if the plug has an oily shine when done).

For more of a cake (or to avoid the wife's wrath in using tobaccoin the microwave), skip the microwave "steaming" step.

You can purchase various mixing blends in bulk or make a plug of your own design.

For about $20, I figured it's worth a shot but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reactions: dctune and clynch

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
There are instructions in another thread, but microwave the tobacco in a baggie or bowl for about 20 seconds, toss into the press and tighten. Tighten again a few hours later, then daily for about 5-7 days for a handmade plug (noting some liquid may seep out, but you did it correctly if the plug has an oily shine when done).

For more of a cake (or to avoid the wife's wrath in using tobaccoin the microwave), skip the microwave "steaming" step.

You can purchase various mixing blends in bulk or make a plug of your own design.

For about $20, I figured it's worth a shot but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Hey guys
Just wanted to add that plugs are usually made by pressing layers of whole leaf or pieces of leaf. If you press ribbon cut or other prepared tobacco you’ll get a cake- the longer you leave it in the press the more solid your cake will be. I usually press 2-3 days for a pretty solid crumble cake. I’ve found that if I heat the tobacco and or add a casing and press it for a few days longer it comes out quite solid and I can cut it into flakes (sometimes).
I would also suggest jarring whatever you press for a couple weeks to let everything meld.
Pressing your own mixtures is a lot of fun and I am still experimenting.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Hey guys
Just wanted to add that plugs are usually made by pressing layers of whole leaf or pieces of leaf. If you press ribbon cut or other prepared tobacco you’ll get a cake- the longer you leave it in the press the more solid your cake will be. I usually press 2-3 days for a pretty solid crumble cake. I’ve found that if I heat the tobacco and or add a casing and press it for a few days longer it comes out quite solid and I can cut it into flakes (sometimes).
I would also suggest jarring whatever you press for a couple weeks to let everything meld.
Pressing your own mixtures is a lot of fun and I am still experimenting.
Thanks for the tips. The waiting is the hardest part, but I've been known to infuse booze and make liqueurs that take months to meld.

If I recall, someone referred to pressed ribbons as "plakes", "crumble plugs", or some other semi-creative name.

I may have to pick your brain once I get up and running. What's your "go to" combo?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Thanks for the tips. The waiting is the hardest part, but I've been known to infuse booze and make liqueurs that take months to meld.

If I recall, someone referred to pressed ribbons as "plakes", "crumble plugs", or some other semi-creative name.

I may have to pick your brain once I get up and running. What's your "go to" combo?
I like English blends so I have pressed Bright Virgina, Stoved Veginia, Latakia orientals and cigar leaf in all sorts of combinations. I haven’t settled on a go to as of yet. Small changes in blending ratios seem to make a big difference and the more tobacco varieties in the mix the more complicated it gets.
I need to keep better notes .

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Finally got to playing with a plug. Read advice from this forum and went with Peterson Perfect Plug. Shaved some off and then broke it up with my fingers. Nothing awesome about the tin aroma. I usually love tin aroma on almost anything so this was a bit off putting. I let it dry out for three hours. It lit easily and well. The taste was stronger than the Virginias I have tried such as Capstan Blue. Stronger darker fruit taste. I personally feel the stronger fruit taste is better than lighter fruit. Not as sharp or acidic. Sweet? Not really. I smoked it for 15 minutes and now I'm taking a break. Lit it back up. No problems on the relight , and, it stays lit. I'm deliberately going slow and trying to sip. Enjoyed it for 20 minutes. Put it down and went back to yard work. Hit it up again. I can now see where people get words like raisin and plum. No issues staying lit for me. All in all the bowl lasted over an hour. I am very pleased with this tobacco. I've tried about 16 other types of well known tobaccos in the last few months. As a noob I tried to stay on the lighter side. Been a wonderful journey so far but this one stands out for a good mouth taste after the smoke without any residual yuck on my palate. I'm not experienced enough to do a proper review. If you are new to plugs this would be a good place to start. After this I need to try Sparkplug.

Have this one on my list. Love the knife in the background, BTW.

Reactions: whitebar and clynch