PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Conducted a search for a thread like this and did not find so I thought I would make it. I am curious about non gawith/lakeland blends that are floral aromatics on good quality tobaccos.

i have tried some lakeland blends and i am quite ingtrigued by all of them so far but the gawith stuff is damn hard to get.

so far outside of those two blending houses but in that general vibe, i have tried st bruno and i have a tin of hyde park and a pouch if mixture 79. Are there others i should try out?

Reactions: pitchfork
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Mixture 79, GLP Stonehenge (although I’m tempted to just go on and call that one a “Lakeland by proxy”), St Bruno. Deertongue is pretty floral to my tastes, but in a clover and honeysuckle kind of way. HU Moroccan Bazaar has some Jasmine flower notes that are divine, and C&D Sun Bear has Elderberry flower (quite similar to the Jasmine in Moroccan Bazaar to my taste).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Not sure which of these are still available, but these are all weirdly flavored British tobaccos:

Condor
St. Bruno
Warrior Plug

Yachtsman Plug has less flavoring, but it's somewhat similar to these others.

I'd also put Peterson's Perfect Plug in the same category of weirdly flavored British-style tobaccos.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Vauen Oxford #5 has a bergamot / Earl Grey thing going on that comes across as somewhat floral to me (it’s like smoking a cup of tea actually) so maybe give it a try if that sounds interesting to you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Crooner is a burley blend with deer tongue. I haven't tried it, but some have recommended it. Be aware, deer tongue is a blood thinner, so don't smoke it if you take blood thinners for health reasons.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Wow that sounds pretty cool. Never tried a vauen blend
If you delve into Vauen, take it from me--steer clear of Auenland Evening Mixture. You don't know ghosting until you've had this in your bowl. In fact, I think it only needs to be within handgun range of your pipe to ghost it. And every blend out of the afflicted pipe will forever taste like an amalgamation of pineapple and bus exhaust.

You have been warned.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
If you delve into Vauen, take it from me--steer clear of Auenland Evening Mixture. You don't know ghosting until you've had this in your bowl. In fact, I think it only needs to be within handgun range of your pipe to ghost it. And every blend out of the afflicted pipe will forever taste like an amalgamation of pineapple and bus exhaust.

You have been warned.
Whenever i hear a description like this it makes me wanna hear the description from someone who likes it

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Non GH/SG products that scratch the floral Lakeland itch for me are: Irish made Condor (I've not had the Polish made); Mixture 79 and clones; and House of Windsor Field & Stream.

The Mixture 79 clones that I know of are Peretti No Name and Uhle 255. I like Peretti No Name better than 79 as I think Peretti uses higher quality the base tobacco. Uhle 255 is maybe less a clone and mor elike in the same genre; it's less topped than 79 or No Name but the burley is very fine.

HOW Field & Stream is no more. Unfortunately, the Sutliff Match is not very floral.

Present day St. Bruno is very, very light in the floral department. If Ennerdale is 10 on the floral scale, St. Bruno is 0.1. Erinmore is not floral in the least.

HU Sissinghurst is said to be in the "English floral style."

If anyone has Warrior or old St. Bruno to sell, please let me know!