PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm becoming a really big fan of these lighters as I can relight the bottom half of a bowl more easily and it's easier to avoid scorching the rim. What I don't like is that they're disposable/non-refillable.

I know Clipper makes the Minitube which is their version of the BIC EZ (though it might be the other way around depending who did it first).

Are there other options besides these two? I'd love to see some lighter brand like Xikar do a version of these where the tube part folds open and closed for storing in the pocket.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I think something like an Old Boy, Pipemaster, or Karibi would be better choices in a refillable butane lighter. Each has a dedicated pipe burner which makes it easy to direct the flame to the bottom of any bowl. Though they say those Scripto's are refillable I don't think they'd hold up for long.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I bought a couple thinking they were a great idea for pipes. I don't care for em. I think it's the ignition system on them.
Yeah, I agree that the ignition not great and it’s part of the reason why I’m looking for an alternative. I think the Clipper Minitube has a flint and wheel which solves at least one that specific issue. From what others have said, they might last a few refills before going in the trash which is better, but still makes it disposable.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Reactions: jpmcwjr
I have never aimed or stuck a lighter down into my pipe chamber. I know, I know, lots of guys buy those stupid lighters that direct the flame down. But, it's totally unnecessary to actually touch the flame to the tobacco to light it. I light mine with the flame about half an inch from the rim... even on my stacks and topper pipes... especially on my stacks and toppers.
You know, it was traditional to hold a coal from the fireplace or campfire with a pair of tongs above the rim of the pipe to light it. You just draw the heat down with a gentle puff, not the flame.

Try it.

But, it's your pipes, and I offer this to you to try... but, if you insist on doing what you do... it's your pipe.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think something like an Old Boy, Pipemaster, or Karibi would be better choices in a refillable butane lighter. Each has a dedicated pipe burner which makes it easy to direct the flame to the bottom of any bowl. Though they say those Scripto's are refillable I don't think they'd hold up for long.
Yeah I totally agree with you that the Scriptos will probably not hold up long.

I’ve seen soft flame lighters and they work pretty well when you’re indoors or there’s not much wind. I’ve got a Zippo with a Thunderbird insert and it works similarly to those (though I’m sure those are nicer). The thing is I’m exclusively smoking outdoors and the Zippo, and I think the other lighters you mentioned, are affected by the wind.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have never aimed or stuck a lighter down into my pipe chamber. I know, I know, lots of guys buy those stupid lighters that direct the flame down. But, it's totally unnecessary to actually touch the flame to the tobacco to light it. I light mine with the flame about half an inch from the rim... even on my stacks and topper pipes... especially on my stacks and toppers.
You know, it was traditional to hold a coal from the fireplace or campfire with a pair of tongs above the rim of the pipe to light it. You just draw the heat down with a gentle puff, not the flame.

Try it.

But, it's your pipes, and I offer this to you to try... but, if you insist on doing what you do... it's your pipe.
Thanks for the tip! I may have tried this accidentally at times but never intentionally. I’m skeptical about how well it will work in outdoor conditions but I’ll give it a shot and report how it goes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The I'M Corona Pipemaster does a very nice job of directing the flame down the bowl. Unless you'd like to burn out the bottom of the pipe bowl, you really don't want to be sticking the flame down into the bowl much anyway.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Thanks for the suggestion. I think this solves the refillablity like the Clipper but it still looks like it won't hold up and is more disposable like the BIC.
The reason I don't use the Scripto any longer is because when it's time to refill, the flame becomes too low, even on the high setting. To be honest the best lighter to use when the bowl gets to the halfway point is a Zippo.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Looks like they don't make them anymore. Xikar had something similar that’s now also discontinued.
it was a great pipe lighter. And it used a flint. Some tween girl broke it (I was 16 at the time and was hanging out with a girl my age who had promised to give her a ride home). Still mildly cross about it. Mainly because I specifically said give it back don't play with it.

Reactions: AroEnglish

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
In the past I have used matches, a Dupont Ligne, IM Corona Flambeau and an Old Boy. Only the Old Boy I have kept. Matches are too much of a hassle, the Flambeau is a torch and fucks up your tobacco and the Dupont was just overrated in design and usability. There is no advantage over a BIC lighter.

I have recently bought a Zippo with a pipelighter insert. It works great. The Zippo has a softer and longer flame than the Old Boy. I have not tasted any lighter fuel at all and with the Zippo the tobacco is lit and burns more evenly. Furthermore, it's a $30 lighter and it doesn't bother me when it's scratched or scuffed. It fits my philosophy: don't overcomplicate pipe smoking.