PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I see that tobacco available from where I order - I’m in Osaka but I don’t know where the shop is: 葉巻・シガー、パイプ煙草 - https://www.kagaya-smokeweb.com/e-commex/cgi-bin/ex_index.cgi
There isn’t a pipe shop in Osaka as nice as Nomura. I remember looking at tobacco reviews of these and not being jazzed but I’ll have to look again. I have to check if Nomura is online because Kagaya is OK but just OK in terms of international tobacco selection. I just order online because the shops around Osaka are so-so. ETA: looks like Nomura is NOT online. But the link above has Asuka. Again, I don’t recall the review being a rave.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I’d kill for a shop half of that nice around me.
Same here. We don't have anything here on the coast other than head shops and liquor stores that cater to cigarettes, vapes, and cheap cigars. The most popular place for buying tobacco products here is actually the local pet supply store. When I go there to buy dog food most of their customers are buying cigarettes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In his book Pipesmoking - A 21st Century Guide, Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say about Asuka: "This is blended in Japan by Japan Tobacco, Inc. , but it tastes so classically English, you expect to see the words (sic) 'London' on the tin. It is wonderfully dry smoking with a rugged, medium smoky flavor. HPH 2 - 2.5."
It's now blended by Mac Baren for Japan Tobacco.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Nomura in Tokyo would be the place to go.
From the photos It looks awesome. Unfortunately my wife won't be spending any time in Tokyo. She's going to Okayama and probably won't be making any trips to larger cities. I'm not sure if there are any good options there, but she's going to give it a try.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Well, I paid the bill. Prices seem higher than the US, but not by multiples, like Oz, the EU, or the UK. Among the tobaccos was one called Momoyama, and the other is something called Asuka. A pouch of Momyama cost about $25. I'll know more when my son gets back in a few weeks.
Very interesting.

I was in Tokyo years ago and in one market they displayed cantaloupes with a price tag of $ 50 each 😳

They were the most perfect & gorgeous cantaloupes you’ve seen in your life. All impeccably packaged & displayed in that way that only the Japanese do. And at that time the Japanese were flying high in the world.
But I had assumed their pipe tobacco prices would be extremely high today. Sounds like that isn’t the case.
Thanks for sharing those photos.

Mac

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very interesting.

I was in Tokyo years ago and in one market they displayed cantaloupes with a price tag of $ 50 each 😳

They were the most perfect & gorgeous cantaloupes you’ve seen in your life. All impeccably packaged & displayed in that way that only the Japanese do. And at that time the Japanese were flying high in the world.
But I had assumed their pipe tobacco prices would be extremely high today. Sounds like that isn’t the case.
Thanks for sharing those photos.

Mac
Paying for a pair of world class cantaloupes can run you a lot of money.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
A buddy of mine is in Japan now, visiting his son.

he was there just before Christmas, too and was telling me about a tobacconist he'd visited and was blown away.

I'll pass this one onto him, I hope that he gets the chance to visit.

Thanks Jesse.

Reactions: Briar Tuck