PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I just got this Castello Sea Rock pipe yesterday, an estate, and it is the finest pipe I've ever smoked (as well as the most expensive at $200). Could someone help elaborate on the nomenclature? It reads thus: "Castello Sea Rock Briar/ NS 75/ Made in Canto Italy/Carlo Scotti". Calling on Castello users: this is my first, and given the price, the only Castello I own, but what a great pipe!

004-006-10308.jpg

May 31, 2012
Congrats on the fine pipe!
Castello are known for being superb burners,

enjoy it well!
Mike @ BriarBlues has a nifty little guide:

http://briarblues.com/castello.htm

:

:

:

The odd part was NS, which turns out to mean Non-Standard.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/johs/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=53582
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=131735
I have no idea what the 75 is unless it was a shape number?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you for the copious information. Would you say $200 was a good price for this pipe? Also, given that Scotti is deceased, is it safe to say the pipe was made before he died, and was actually made by him? I have yet to read the entirety of the links you kindly went to the trouble of listing, but is this kind of pipe considered a freehand? Thanks again.

May 31, 2012
I don't want to speculate...
I'm not very well-versed with Castello at all,

there are some folks here who will know much more.
They will be chiming in I'm sure.

:puffy:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
[quote Would you say $200 was a good price for this pipe? Also, given that Scotti is deceased, is it safe to say the pipe was made before he died, and was actually made by him? [/quote]

Castello shape nomenclature can be crazy IMO that pipe is a shape 215 the fancy billiard(a shape I collect) I a fan of green stems and that SR carving looks outstanding! I understand the Carlo Scotti in an oval has been is stamped on all the pipes since the mid to late 50's and the thick button looks like it is from the 60's but from what I know Mr Scotti was never a regular carver and if he ever did carve one it was rare.

I've had issues with smokingpipes.com's email update notification service and I have to look at the site to get the updates. I would have no trouble paying $200 for that pipe with a green stem (I wish was mine)

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-off-your-castello-pipes-here

has a photo of my 215 collection 8O

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for telling me I didn't overspend. But any guilt I might have had has been eliminated by the wonderful smoking qualities of this pipe. I didn't think a pipe can get this good. I only wish the bowl was larger (I like a large bowl). And while many here I'm sure are familiar with the Sea Rock theme, it was a revelation to me. The pipe is a total work of art: a translucent sea green stem and the craggy rustication like undersea volcanic rock make summoning images of a wild sea complete. I'd love to get another pipe like this and if anyone knows where, feel free to tell me here or PM me.

I am a little confused about the age of the pipe, but that's me being lazy and not thoroughly reading the links supplied to me. I need to get around to exploring those and plan to do so.

Given the quality of this pipe, I wonder I haven't heard Castello's name more? Is it because it is a rather expensive pipe?

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
As Dave said, that is a very unique pipe with great Sea Rock carving and the price was fair.
Can't really help with the age of the pipe given that some new Castellos have the foil stem mark, but typically those were reserved for pipes bound for the US market prior to all (well, the majority) of Castellos moving to the white bar.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
I'm going far back into my memory but I'm sure there are others with greater knowledge than I have on this subject who can correct or affirm.
75 is the shape. I believe that it's marked as NS because of the smooth wavy rim. Castello sometimes morphed shape numbers over time (what was a 75NS might have become a 215 as a possible example).
Early Sea Rocks tended to be more craggy or less refined (this is neither good nor bad). The 'gem' (it's not) indicates that it was intended for the American market and was imported by Hollco-Rhor (Wally Frank stores).
Carlo Scotti died in 1988 and I believe that your pipe was probably made in the 1970s. Scotti ran the workshop but wasn't a pipe maker to my knowledge.
Castello influenced many, if not most, pipes made in Italy (and beyond) and probably still does. Castello is the fountainhead of the Cantu school of pipe making that includes; Caminetto, Radice and Ascorti.
The price is relative. If you need to know check eBay for comparisons. I can't advise on it's value other than it appears to be in great condition and it's a great pipe.
You're only problem is that you've experienced a great pipe and now you'll pay the price :wink:. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.