PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I quit smoking my pipe about a week prior to recent open heart surgery. While I missed the comfort of a good smoke, I didn't feel any of the intense cravings I know I would have experienced if this cessation had occurred way back in my cigarette smoking days. Back then, going without a cigarette for even a few hours was uncomfortable, and going without for over two weeks as I just did would have led to major nicotine withdrawal. I know this is only anecdotal evidence, just one man's experience, but while i was glad to pick up my pipe again a few days ago, I'm really happy about the total lack of discomfort, severe craving and other addiction-related aspects associated with smoking cigarettes. I'd like to suggest that this is further evidence that pipe smoking is a whole different, and healthier, relationship with tobacco than inhaling smoke into one's lungs.
Anyway, this is something I wanted to share with everybody here. So, whaddaya think?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I often have to take Mom places . She is allergic to smoke so i leave the pipe home and never have a problem.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
sir, i wish you a full and rapid recovery from what sounds like serious major heart surgery.

am unsure if they closed you up with either staples which is quite common versus using common stiches.

am quite certain that internally stiches were used and my only concern would be the occasional coughing.

that stresses repairs and causes discomfort.

i still have occasional sharp pains from the colen and hernia surgeries ive had from coughing. patience is the key here if need be.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I quit while my daughters were small, 5 years or so and then resumed. I missed it like I missed certain foods, but like you I didn't experience any N withdrawals.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had to put the pipe aside for a while myself when I was going through my battle with ginigivitis. The only problem I had was I had just gotten into Connoisseur's Choice, so I was in a way craving the taste of that blend. Other than just wanting to taste that new blend again I didn't have any cravings as to needing the nicotine or anything in the tobacco. All I was greatly missing was the taste of some blends as I mostly smoke aromatics. So Connoisseur's Choice and Sherlock Holmes and Luxury Blend were greatly missed for that time.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I would not say I have withdrawal, but I sometimes I go "You know, a nice bowl of Frog Mortin sounds really good." But I would never say it's a withdrawal.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Me either Marc.
I frequently leave the house and forget or know that I won't be able to smoke.

It ain't no big thing. I might want one, but no nicotine fitz here.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I do,It,s the last thing I do befor bed and the first thing when I wake up it,s even befor coffee and then when the coffees made---so good. :clap:

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
finally figured out how to do this.....now all I have to do is to remember what I did?
Before a bowl:

these-ugly-people-exist-3.jpg

After a bowl:

shiva-aum1.jpg

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Sorry for this post, but I have to try one more time to be sure.
1954 Jaguar X type:
1954_jaguar_xk120_silver-bcl.jpg

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Moderator:

Could you please delete my post that is 10th from the top?
Thank you,

Ranger

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I can honestly say I do not, and I think this is something common amongst pipe smokers in general and related to more than just the pipe itself. There is a patience pipe smoking requires, that I think it developes to apply to other endeavors as well.
I've gone six weeks without a cigarette, not to prove a point, not to try to quit, but simply because I did not want one -- and I've gone all summer with my pipe or cigarettes because it is just too damned hot here to smoke -- it's not worth it.
I enjoy my pipes, I enjoy my cigarettes, and I enjoy a number of other hobbies -- only writing has ever gotten out of my control. That one has gotten . .. way out of control before.
If anyone wants to know what I've been off doing for the past two weeks, for example, I spent 15 days writing a 50,000 word novel first draft. I don't think I can properly explain the kind of drain that the mind undergoes in such a pursuit, and mind those words are only the ones that survived. I don't think I could have done it if I had much choice in the matter.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I still smoke cigs, and have heavy withdrawls...when I was only smoking the pipe, i'd go a couple of days without and didn't think twice...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
When I go without, I miss the taste of a certain tobacco, but Not the nicotine fiending I had when I was a cigarette smoker. When I smoked cigs, I could scarcely go an hour without smoking but with a pipe, going for several days is no big deal. Like another poster said, it's more like missing a favorite food than an addiction craving.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
As an ex-cigarette smoker, (15 years) as well as an ex-Copenhagen dipper, (15 years),.....going without either for any length of time is pure hell. Not picking up a pipe for a few days or even a week has NO effect on me at all...none.....it doesn't even cross my mind.

Jul 12, 2011
same as ace57, 1st thing in AM with cup of black coffee, mid-day and another in the eve...not sure if perhaps Nic, blend flavors, process of RnR or all of the above that is my connection...hmmm

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I look forward to my pipe now. I do think there is a "reward" process that goes on in the brain, possibly tied to some degree with nicotine.
I smoked cigs many, many years ago (I quit in 1990), and can remember that the cigarette jones was insistent and felt relatively quickly after the last one, and very distinct after waking up and after eating.
I start "looking forward" to my evening bowl at work around 2-3 PM. However, in the occasions when that will not be possible due to other plans, I note no real thinking of it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.