Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Maybe it's something I ate, or whatever, but only my first pipe in the AM had it's usual taste . . a burley/perique blend that has a bit of a twinge to it. Smoked this mixture every day for the past 3 months.

The other two pipes I had in the afternoon, then the evening, were delicate tobaccos that tasted . . . . like really cigarette tobacco smoked in my pipes. Blech.

So it seems I had a bad pipe day. Pipes were clean, tobaccos a known and liked quality. Anybody else ever had this happen? I just couldn't get even into first gear. All tasted flat and went downhill from there. Depressing.

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to find out. :cry:

Reactions: JOHN72 and BingBong

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
That could very well be . . . . I've been overdrive testing all of the info forum members have suggested in my "gurgling" post. I really hope you're right. A common sense answer to what I have been doing. Didn't even think of it. Thanks!
I had the same last week..a friend come along with DR Windsail and some Canal Boat. Of course i gave it a try, along with other pipes and tobaccos that i had. The next day - everything is sour, and to make it worse, I am buying 3 estate pipes that for sure need trying puffy puffy and sure its really going downhill from there. Everything tastes like burning old newspapers :oops:🤪🤪

After cutting back, slowing down, eating good food (i think food really contributes to palate health) - the taste slowly creeping back. Now back on to this 3 new pipes..puffypuffypuffy

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I had the same last week..a friend come along with DR Windsail and some Canal Boat. Of course i gave it a try, along with other pipes and tobaccos that i had. The next day - everything is sour, and to make it worse, I am buying 3 estate pipes that for sure need trying puffy puffy and sure its really going downhill from there. Everything tastes like burning old newspapers :oops:🤪🤪

After cutting back, slowing down, eating good food (i think food really contributes to palate health) - the taste slowly creeping back. Now back on to this 3 new pipes..puffypuffypuffy
Thanks for your reply. Misery loves company, eh? Pretty sure food was a factor in my situation as well. i still have three more forum replies to try, including mudding. Now have enough cigar ash to go there, too.

Oddly enough, there is one more parallel. The day before I "lost it", a friend of mine came over and brought his pipe, and he had just eaten some smoked salmon and other spicey goodies for dinner. He smoked a couple of bowls, and complained that the tobaccos tasted lousy. And they were a couple of tobaccos of mine he normally loves!

We are certainly architects of our own problems, eh?:LOL:

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I remembered the other night after a rainstorm, that I HATE smoking in humid weather. Hot, acrid, disgusting. My tobacco needs to be bone dry, and apparently so does the air around me!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob and gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I remembered the other night after a rainstorm, that I HATE smoking in humid weather. Hot, acrid, disgusting. My tobacco needs to be bone dry, and apparently so does the air around me!
Apparently, our environment is also a factor, eh? We have a saying in Prince George BC that "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!!"

Swamps, foothills and prairie is what is up here within an 85 mile radius. And also, only an 80 day growing season on average. Cold cold winters, bone dry. Best moose, grouse. snowshoe and mulie hunting in the world! Fantastic trout and char fishing, too! God's country!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
That could very well be . . . . I've been overdrive testing all of the info forum members have suggested in my "gurgling" post. I really hope you're right. A common sense answer to what I have been doing. Didn't even think of it. Thanks!

If you're still struggling with the occasional gurgle (read: too wet a smoke), it might just be your technique. Dryer, lighter, slower always works better.

Reactions: gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
If you're still struggling with the occasional gurgle (read: too wet a smoke), it might just be your technique. Dryer, lighter, slower always works better.
No, I'm a pretty slow smoker, no trouble keeping a pipe going for an hour. But I've slowed down even more, and am keeping my tobacco a bit dryer lately, too. I'll post a synopsis of the changes I've made shortly, once I've done the mudding.

I've incorporated almost all of the forum members' suggestions to a greater or lesser degree. I'm extremely meticulous, if not downright anal. :LOL:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Apparently, our environment is also a factor, eh? We have a saying in Prince George BC that "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!!"

Swamps, foothills and prairie is what is up here within an 85 mile radius. And also, only an 80 day growing season on average. Cold cold winters, bone dry. Best moose, grouse. snowshoe and mulie hunting in the world! Fantastic trout and char fishing, too! God's country!
100% I love sitting on the porch in the rain, just wish I could enjoy my pipe too....

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I've been overdrive testing all of the info forum members have suggested in my "gurgling" post.

haha - you and me, both! I was comfortably smoking many of my old favorites from years ago until i decided to finally get back on a forum (this one) and the inevitable happened. New pipes and tobacco start hitting the skids as soon as you find out what you're missing. Forums are great for info and keeping current, however, as with everything there is the down side (or is it another upside?) of TAD and PAD as a result as well.

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Yeah, that’s what I’ve discovered. All my summer smoking is now getting confined to my office. Kind of a bummer, but at least I have a place in my house where I can smoke! puffy

Reactions: didimauw

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Latakia, that's the answer to a jaded palate. If that doesn't work, you have to self-flagellate with Silk Cut cigarettes until you crave real tobacco.

• Haha

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Gotta keep good food - and drink. empty stomach + strong tobacco = 🤢a

As for cure, I tried some strong chinese ricewine (52% proof), french red wine, tea, coffee, tonight bought some coconut (water)
puffypuffypuffy
View attachment 315859
All avenues must be explored, eh? :) Sometimes in finding something new, we have to say, "no, that won't do" and suffer until our palate returns. Been there, done that apparently. Seems that is what this post was really about for me! Appreciate your input as always!

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
All avenues must be explored, eh? :) Sometimes in finding something new, we have to say, "no, that won't do" and suffer until our palate returns. Been there, done that apparently. Seems that is what this post was really about for me! Appreciate your input as always!
I would say mood/stress (with corresponding acid-related stomach issues) also affect taste...the best time of smoking (after meals).. puffy puffy puffy so when my pipes taste bad, it could have been me hungry, or stressed out

Reactions: LotusEater