PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
@anotherbob

You never did answer my question. What are you smoking in this pipe?

Is it a dedicated pipe that you only smoke a particular blend in? Do you smoke that same blend in other pipes? Does it behave similarly in them?

Do you smoke different types of tobacco in this pipe? Still very curious.

Also, that offer to choose a doorstop location at my place is still valid. ?

Reactions: JOHN72

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand the problem at all. How can a pipe intermittently (bowl to bowl) affect the flavor of tobacco?
Sorry if that wasn’t clear. I pack my Peterson, have no taste. Dump it and pull from the same tin, pack another pipe and it’s fine. I find it quite bizarre.
@anotherbob

You never did answer my question. What are you smoking in this pipe?

Is it a dedicated pipe that you only smoke a particular blend in? Do you smoke that same blend in other pipes? Does it behave similarly in them?

Do you smoke different types of tobacco in this pipe? Still very curious.

Also, that offer to choose a doorstop location at my place is still valid. ?
I did say 633 (solani) but that has been the most recent. Quite a few other Vaper blends, all the same.

If it doesn’t come good in the next month or so, I’ll do a trade with you if your keen?

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I've had pipes like that. A couple of higher end estates-- an absolutely beautiful 2000 Pipe of the Year Ser Jacopo and a Costello 1999 Pipe of the Year. The only thing I could taste in the Costello were G&H ropes. In the Ser Jacopo all tobacco tasted far away and faint. A brand new Pete silver wind cap 035 was like that, too. I almost got rid of all these pipes, but hung on to them because they were gorgeous pipes. They stayed in my rack and I still enjoyed them and admired them for their artistry. Somewhere between 7 - 10 years later I started retrying all these pipes and all have turned into good smokers. I don't know when or how they changed, but as I brought them out randomly to try them, once again, I was rewarded for hanging on to them. In the near term, smoke the crap out of that pipe for as long as you can stand it and then rack it. If you really like the aesthetics of the pipe hang on to it and smoke it from time to time. One day it might surprise you. Also, I must say I bought a GBD estate years ago that NEVER came around-- it was like smoking air. Alas, the mystery of the briar! Best of luck with it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few suggestions:

Try a different genre of tobacco than the ones you usually smoke.

Dry the tobacco you smoke in it more than usual.

Most of my Petes (quite a few) smoked well from day one. One of them was just okay for a few years and suddenly bloomed, I think because the briar finally seasoned sufficiently. Meantime I enjoyed it from time to time with fairly strong blends. One day it just improved.

Or, send it to SP for store credit to apply to a different brand.

It looks like a good pipe and a good smoker, if it ever kicked in gear.

Reactions: JOHN72 and romaso

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I had the same issue with a poker by peterson. I worked on it for a year, no luck. It just sits in the stand now. Never had another pipe before that or after that do the same thing. Very strange.
I also have this issue with an estate Tankard from Peterson. I traded some tobacco to a forum member for it. He did warn me that he couldnt get a good smoke out of it. Since I have had it, nothing smokes well in it for me either. I've tried various blends and styles but no luck. I'll hang on to it and see if it ever comes around.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Mone i
I also have this issue with an estate Tankard from Peterson. I traded some tobacco to a forum member for it. He did warn me that he couldnt get a good smoke out of it. Since I have had it, nothing smokes well in it for me either. I've tried various blends and styles but no luck. I'll hang on to it and see if it ever comes arou
I also have this issue with an estate Tankard from Peterson. I traded some tobacco to a forum member for it. He did warn me that he couldnt get a good smoke out of it. Since I have had it, nothing smokes well in it for me either. I've tried various blends and styles but no luck. I'll hang on to it and see if it ever comes around.
Yea mine is a tankard p-lip. What a waste.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Most of my Petes (quite a few) smoked well from day one. One of them was just okay for a few years and suddenly bloomed, I think because the briar finally seasoned sufficiently. Meantime I enjoyed it from time to time with fairly strong blends. One day it just improved.
I would second this advice as it has also been my experience and practice.

Reactions: seanv and romaso

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would second this advice as it has also been my experience and practice.
Pipes are a funny thing a lot of what makes one good or not as good are in literally esoteric factors as in hard to see or pin point. I've had a few pipes just smoke flat at first. I think in general most pipes improve with being smoked. I'd suggest exploiting it. If you have an tobacco that tastes too strong, smoke it in that pipe.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
What gives?! Had this pipe for a few months, I pack it, smoke it, but the flavor never shines, enough so I’ll discard the tobacco and pack another pipe and it’s beautifulView attachment 131714. I’m about to turn it into a door stop I think!
That's a beautiful pipe. I suspect you have a bowl coating that is too heavy. I had an Erica second system pipe that always had a slight chemical flavor, that i never could enjoy. I lightly sanded the chamber, did the salt/alcohol cleaning, then coated the bowl with some American Honey by Wild Turkey. It smokes great now ! I would try that or something similar before getting rid of it or offer it up and let one of us try ! (Hint,Hint!) ;):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JOHN72 and Eastmon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You are not the first person to experience this, I’ve seen others post this same issue and I want to say that the culprit is always a new Peterson. I would suggest trying to keep seasoning it because it is a pretty pipe, I’m sure it will come around eventually. Good luck, that’s gotta be frustrating.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
You are not the first person to experience this, I’ve seen others post this same issue and I want to say that the culprit is always a new Peterson. I would suggest trying to keep seasoning it because it is a pretty pipe, I’m sure it will come around eventually. Good luck, that’s gotta be frustrating.
Seems to come up with almost any pipe. Heard of it happening with some high end artisan pipes too. A lot of people buy Petes.

Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Seems to come up with almost any pipe. Heard of it happening with some high end artisan pipes too. A lot of people buy Petes.
You are probably right, there is a lot of Peterson hate on here though, I am not one of them, I own several of them and I really like them. I am a p-lip hater though. :LOL: I had 3 or 4 pipes that I didn’t smoke because of the p-lip, though, I fixed that problem. With the proper tools, they are easy to shape into a normal bit/lip.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
You are probably right, there is a lot of Peterson hate on here though, I am not one of them, I own several of them and I really like them. I am a p-lip hater though. :LOL: I had 3 or 4 pipes that I didn’t smoke because of the p-lip, though, I fixed that problem. With the proper tools, they are easy to shape into a normal bit/lip.
it really is a good lesson in quality control. Why because it seems like there was a period before laudsi got the brand that their quality control was bad and now any issue no matter how common across all pipe brands or most pipe brands gets the response of "typical with them". It's funny though I'll see some other brands have the same issues come up and get the response of that's weird I have never heard of them having that issue before. When I am thinking it's the third time I've heard it about it here.

Reactions: JOHN72 and hawky454

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I’ve had this happen to me with a new Peterson. Barely any taste. Got rid of the pipe and got an estate Peterson, unsmoked but the bowl coating was sanded away. That one smoked great.

As other have said, the bowl coating is probably the issue.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Gum Arabic, which is used in Peterson's bowl coating material, has no flavor whatsoever... It's used in myriad products throughout the food and beverage industry.

As far as bad taste in a pipe, the more reasonable suspect would be the briar itself. Sometimes it's just off. Maybe that's the one tree that the goats liked to piss on for decades...

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
Gum Arabic, which is used in Peterson's bowl coating material, has no flavor whatsoever... It's used in myriad products throughout the food and beverage industry.

As far as bad taste in a pipe, the more reasonable suspect would be the briar itself. Sometimes it's just off. Maybe that's the one tree that the goats liked to piss on for decades...
Not getting a bad taste. Just a very flat taste.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Pipes are a funny thing a lot of what makes one good or not as good are in literally esoteric factors as in hard to see or pin point. I've had a few pipes just smoke flat at first. I think in general most pipes improve with being smoked. I'd suggest exploiting it. If you have an tobacco that tastes too strong, smoke it in that pipe.
It is funny how some just sing right away, others not at all. All the ones I’ve had did improve over time. Some just didn’t have much room for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.