PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohn

Lurker
Aug 17, 2014
I think the bottom line is Stanwell is no longer the reputable quality brand they were before the move to Italy and now who used to be at one time the Stanwell Dealer of the Year and who sold the most Stanwell pipes in the United States is making a somewhat bold statement about the exact quality and reputation of the current Stanwell line but knowing the crew at SmokingPipes all they will say is they are no longer carrying the line and leave it exactly at that.
I was thinking along these lines but as you guessed, the customer service rep was very professional and only stated the fact that they weren't carrying them. I would have loved some additional insight, but good on them for their professional attitude.
I did go on and make my first ever order at P&C. This had nothing to do with Stanwell, but the fact that they had the 24oz box of PS LBF $10 less expensive than SP. I didn't add a Stanwell to my cart, but I did throw in a MM cob. I also ordered a 2 oz sample of the PS LTF and PS LNF. Funny, I went from thinking that I didn't like VA's (Gawaith FVF) to falling in love with the PS blends. If I enjoy the LTF and LNF as much as the LBF which I like even more than Escudo, I can see ordering and cellering a box of each in the near future.
I saw they charged me sales tax and realized that they were located in Pennsylvania. Anyone know if they have a retail shop? If so, it seems I am blessed with Boswell's one hour South and P&C one hour West of me.
Wow...got a bit off topic ramble. My new office is closer to the coffee pot. Can you tell?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
My apologies, my comment about "Danish Design" was facetious. I knew that Stanwell production had moved to Italy.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
@junkyarddawg - griffon, I believe that was 2010.
Thanks JYD. I have a couple older Stannies, and absolutely love them. I also love my italia Jacopos too. I'm not partial to either, but I do think that "Stanwell", as a name, is noted for a specific craftsmanship/design aesthetic.
I probably won't be buying any newer Italia Stans, simply because the Stanwell brand I love is the older Dansk.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I do love the old Stanwell 95 "Jumbo" pipes. I wonder if that was one of the Sixten Ivarsson designs. Does anyone know?
https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/stanwell-amber-light-polished-half-bent-9mm-briar-pipe-95

May 31, 2012
My apologies, my comment about "Danish Design" was facetious. I knew that Stanwell production had moved to Italy.
Ah, dammit.

My apologies.
But did you know that Castello production has been moved to France? :wink:

May 31, 2012
I do love the old Stanwell 95 "Jumbo" pipes. I wonder if that was one of the Sixten Ivarsson designs. Does anyone know?
Yep,

Sixten.
Here's what the early design looked like:

f5t2529p9255n1-thumb.jpg

Basil Stevens is the Stanwell man, and he's compiled a lot of useful information,

here's a shape breakdown, giving specific designer credit in many cases,

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45022768/Stanwell-shapes1
Also,

at the bottom of this German fansite, they have a wonderful shape archive that's fun to go through,

http://www.stanwell-tabak-pfeife.de/f5-STANWELL-TOP-THEMA.html
:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thank you, misterlowercase. I have a Danish-made Royal Prince in shape 95. It is a fantastic pipe. Knowing it is an Ivarsson design makes it that much more special.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Be warned that the downtown Bethlehem store is small,cozy and packed to the rafters with cigars, but does not carry any pipe-related items. The CI Superstore in Hamburg and the Nazareth Pike store carry a nice selection of pipes and tobacco, but both are dangerous places, if you bring a credit card.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I discovered the Stanwell's on P&C, I just shut up and bought two. I've been shopping online for a long

time, and at pipe shows and B&M's. Sometimes just pull the trigger and don't argue.

bigjohn

Lurker
Aug 17, 2014
Yes ... P&C does have retail locations in PA ... http://www.cigarsinternational.com/retail/ ... the Bethlehem store is there main super duper facility of the various website companies they have.
WooHoo! Road trip! Bethlehem is not too far down the road for me. I can make a day of it. White Castle/Yaccos for lunch, Pipe store, then finish it off with a LV Phantoms (Flyers farm club) game.

May 31, 2012
. I have a Danish-made Royal Prince in shape 95. It is a fantastic pipe. Knowing it is an Ivarsson design makes it that much more special.
It's hard to beat those old Stannies.
I especially fell for the 62/63/64 shape series, with a preference for the 63M, however, over the years that particular shape evolved to be a bit more chunky and "standardized", the earlier ones were quite elegant, usually lighter in weight, and I like vulcanite more than lucite --- I love the variations involved with the natural "barktop" plateau and for that reason, I once had 19 examples of the 63M shape!

I've since thinned that herd pretty dramatically.

:eek:
The pride of my Stanwells is this hand-finished Tom Eltang 63M,

K4Mm3qc.jpg

ogvNoYt.jpg

ZwgWSvE.jpg

3iSHYd2.jpg

That TE stamp makes it very special.
It turns out that back when Tom Eltang was working at Stanwell, he would act as an ambassador and go on tour in Germany (a very large market for Stanwell). He did this a couple of years, going around to different pipe shops. Before he left Denmark, he would select some choice bowls already turned but not yet finished, and take them on the road - at the pipe shop event, a customer could choose whatever pipe they wanted and have Eltang finish it for them in the stain of their choosing, right there in front of them, it would then be stamped with the TE mark and the customer would also get a special certificate. Most of those pipes are 9mm so it's difficult to find a ohne filter example. I found this pipe on the German eBay for a steal, it's like a Holy Grail of the 63M collection and I'm stoked to have it!

:puffy:

bigjohn

Lurker
Aug 17, 2014
Be warned that the downtown Bethlehem store is small,cozy and packed to the rafters with cigars, but does not carry any pipe-related items. The CI Superstore in Hamburg and the Nazareth Pike store carry a nice selection of pipes and tobacco, but both are dangerous places, if you bring a credit card.
Even better, as this is closer. Cabellas, Yuengling brewery tour, and the pipe store. Now that you mention it, I think I have seen this one. I was at Dunkin Donuts trading in some old coffee for new and saw across the road a jewlrey store next to a cigar shop. I thought that was smart marketing...something for everyone!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
misterlowercase, that Stanwell-Eltang is gorgeous. I am going to have to get a photobucket account so I can post photos, too.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I have one Danish-made Stanwell and one Italian-made Stanwell. Both are well made and smoke well. :puffpipe:
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.