PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
I find that licorice/anise is a natural flavour within lots of tobaccos, or at least that is how my palette perceives the profile.

If you have an aversion to it, maybe you are picking it up more readily than the rest of us.
Indeed! I find anise/fennel/liquorice notes even in Cuban and Dominican cigars. In pipe tobacco, I find them in blends such as SG FVF (bright, sweet fennel), Telegraph Hill (darker) or Solani Silver Flake (funnily enough, more so than in their Aged Burley Flake, which is cased with liquorice).

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sure do. Probably closer to the flavour of chewing licorice root than confectionery. It varies from varieties and also from bowl to bowl.

When I posted earlier I was thinking of a friend who is a chef and while not really a smoker is fascinated with flavour and blending. I’d say 9 time out of 10 he will smell the tin note of what I have open, and there’a variety there as I’m smoking through all my single tins, and say oh that smells like licorice. It took me a while to realise that licorice is the starting point for his nose, and that it doesn’t necessarily mean licorice to me.
That is really interesting, I'll have to recalibrate my thinking on this. Thanks!

Reactions: Bassman65

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Bas - you are a lucky puffer. cos here beat me to it, since I am about to tell you that you don't need to chase any Esotericas or Germain's. All pipe tobacco is cased with a sweetener, even if it isn't topped (rare). This is to make it smokeable and happens at the first stages of preparation. When a blender orders leaf to begin with, it is already cased, unless he/she is starting out with raw leaf. Casing provides the underlying 'house note' to brands. That's why MacBaren's, with its sweet, honeyish background flavor tastes different that the Jerseys, which use anise. Many fine German blends also use anise,

Reactions: Bassman65