PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Even after reading a couple of websites (inc the Peterson one) I'm none the wiser what the Peterson system is and what, if any, comparisons can be made to using either 9mm filter or no filter

No-filter seems pretty self explanatory and while popular on these boards its not for me
I use 9mm charcoal in all my pipes and change it after 2-3 smokes

I'd quite like to buy a Peterson pipe and while they have limited 9mm filter stock I'm wondering if that's the limit of my choice or if the Peterson system might offer enough filtration for me

In layman's terms what is the Peterson System please?

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
@bullet08
That's what I thought as well but then I found that smokingpipes.eu has several 9mm filter system standard pipes and several other vendors have 9mm system spigots.

My guess is that the filter sits above the system moisture chamber.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
as far as i know, original system didn't have a filter. but i guess they can add filter if they want. to be a complete system pipe, you need moisture trap, draft hole above the stem opening, wider bore diameter at the end of stem vs. at the button, and p-lip.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Yeah, you are right bullet08, hadn't noticed the fishtail on the one i linked, they are however also avalible with filter and p-lip on smokingpipes.eu. I guess it´s Peterson trying to broaden the target audience by adding option for filter smokers even though it's not part of a "genuine" or original Peterson system.

@TinCup
If the reason for you smoking with filter is not wanting to get moisture or tobacco juice in the mouth ? when puffing to heavy I would recommend giving a filter less Peterson system pipe a try as it also helps with this task.
If however the reason for you using filter is a perceived health benefit or any other reason I would not recommend a filter less Peterson system pipe as it doesn't filter the smoke.

Reactions: TinCup
Status
Not open for further replies.