PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Hi folks,
I never had a problem with nicotine content until one day last week I smoked a bowl of GLP Key Largo that made me feel a little nauseous and light-headed. Since then, I have been feeling nicotine in blends I have smoked many many times with no previous effect. It's weird, I feel like I am losing nicotine tolerance rather than gaining tolerance. Anyone know if this is normal or what is going on?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I also thought I was unaffected by vitamin N but 2 weeks ago I had a bowl of SG's 1792 and felt a bit woozy afterward. I had smoked countless tins of it over the years with no ill effects but this one bowl kicked my butt. Let's hope it's a passing thing for us.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Maybe you are learning to smoke slower and longer per bowl. Also could be taking more into your lungs then you were before. Not really sure though. How long have you been smoking a pipe?

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
smoking on an empty stomach?
Nope, never.
How long have you been smoking a pipe?
October is my third month. Weird because I never had this feeling before, and lately it has been often after a smoke. I haven't changed my smoking speed or anything like that either. :?
I should say that I'm not feeling MAJOR effects, but still, I used to feel nothing and to feel something, if only 10 minutes of slight queasiness, it just seems strange.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
You are probably smoking more efficiently and potentially inhaling a little bit more than before.
Also, when you are dealing with a different blend anything is possible...
Do you feel you have less nicotine tolerance with your "usual" tobaccos?

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Might depend a little on your body chemistry and how you were feeling that day. Some days, I can smoke the strongest blends with little or no effect. Other times, the same tobacco will seriously kick my butt. I don't know why, it just does. I always smoke the big boys on a full stomach and often keep a cool OJ for the sugar, ready at hand too.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
alcohol? i know i feel the affects more if i smoke while drinking or after drinking. I try not to srink while smoking although a good glass of bourbon and a pipe full of anything is generally pretty good.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Do you feel you have less nicotine tolerance with your "usual" tobaccos?
Yeah, the same blends I smoked many times are making me feel it.
@ Morton: hmm, I guess it might be just something with my diet recently.
I guess I will try a) taking it slow and b) eating healthier. :lol:
No, can't afford it at the moment. :rofl:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
My tolerance is up overall but that doesn't mean that it doesn't affect me in high doses, it just means that I am less affected by the moderate ones - but I still feel the nicotine in general...

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Did you transition to pipes from a different form of tobacco use?
Nope.
I'm guessing it's just a body chemistry thing, perhaps. From some of the above responses, it seems like it's quite common to have fluctuations in a tobacco's impact.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My tolerance is pretty good as well but I've found that on any given day, if you smoke that one blend that pushes your nic levels up, sometimes it will catch up you. Other factors come in to play as well. I was reminded the other day just why Irish Flake and an empty stomach is a bad strategic manuever :lol:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have never understood why I react to nicotine the way I do. I smoke my pipe about the same time every day under much the same circumstances. Some days I will feel a nicotine hit and some days not. The same is true for the mild as well as the strong blends.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I smoke my second bowl of Haddo's Delight last friday,right after lunch. Big kick this time, no kick the first. Why?... go figure. Smoking was still a true delight, how i was feeling after it was not...
Sorry I cant help.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Lady N is a fickle mistress, you never know when she will grab you by the balls and let you know she is there. I have no idea why she rears her head at me at different times and with different blends. It is a weird phenomena that I honestly cannot explain after 40 plus years of smoking. When she hits, I put the pipe down for a few minutes, grab a drink of something with a lot of sugar, and she goes back to whence she came.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I'm really surprised by, amazed at and thankful for the responses here since it puts a lot into perspective. Here I thought it was a novice or nicotine inexperience thing. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.