Nicotine sensitive people, why do you smoke a pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Micah Redmond Pipes
36 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most people who smoke cigars and pipes, usually reports that the nicotine relaxes them, or mellows them out, whereas when I smoked cigs, a cigarettes could perk me up, but the effects of the "perk" was very short lived.
This is consistent with dosage. Relaxing the brain gives it more power; in a short jolt, this will come across as energy. In a smoother dose, it will com across as relaxation. Sort of like alcohol: the first drinks bring manic energy, even though alcohol is a depressant, but after eight beers the slowdown occurs.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I used to be a "nicotine-denier", but these days...I came here to dance, dammit, so the good lady had better show. But it depends on the day, too. Sometimes I'm happy with a lighter smoke.
On the subject of Nicotine's diverse effects, here's Christopher Hitchens after he quit smoking cigarettes (before his death from esophageal cancer).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDaZXZd19OM

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Yes, I have and I would. The non nic tobacc had a delightful aroma. It burned without relights. Sadly I have not seen it in years.
Although I only smoke 1 to 4 times a month, I do find that I think about what pipe and what tobacc I am to use next. Is that addiction?

It does seem strange that my thoughts go there. BTW, where is the study that the antis refer to that says that Nicotine is the "most addictive drug."? Given that many of us are not addicted I think it is BS.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I love my Nicotine. Some natural flavour with it is always welcome, and if possible no casings or additives of any kind for me please.That'll be all.Thank you.

Thanks, I was just curious. As to the antis, personally, I like to keep it real for myself. Not everyone is weighing in here, and in comments on other threads, it's nit just a few of us that enjoy the drug aspect of the hobby. Nicotine that is. But, all too often in various things, we knee-jerk against those on the other side of the fence. But, it is what it is. Human nature that is. Me, I embrace it this part of the hobby, and argue that addiction itself is not the evil and nicotine isn't the bad guy. It's inhaling tars and the other crap in cigarettes that is the bad guy. As I've said above, I am way healthier now than I was ten years ago, and I'll sing those praises to pipes and the tobacco. I believe that there is much good that comes from nicotine, the antis be damned, I will stand by that.
But, I guess we all are different. We all come to the hobby for different reasons. None worse, none better.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
:"If my beloved Lat bombs had no nicotine, I would still smoke them"
Aldecaker: Your beloved Lat bombs would not be the same without the Nicotine. It is part of what makes them beloved. Nicotine and tobacco go together. It's the way it's always been, is and is going to be.

haddoken

Lurker
Sep 8, 2015
I really like the alcohol/beer analogy. There are all kinds of beer styles, and I say I drink them for flavor. But I won't drink non-alcoholic beer, what's the point. I feel like I know my limits with alcohol pretty well. That is, I can regulate my intake of alcohol to not get sick.

Maybe, not knowing how much nicotine is too much, is why I would smoke a tobacco with no nic. With the pipe I usually don't feel much, and cigars are too strong. I've only once felt the nic hit without getting sick. At that time I thought to myself "this is why people want the vitam D so much, I can get used to this".

With more experience I could see feeling the same about nic-less tobacco as I do non-alcoholic beer, or decaf coffee.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Oh yes coffee. That would be a good comparison too. I was once told that coffee/caffeine is the Christians drug of choice. Walk into a church and you will clearly identify it. Lol, be nice. I didn't say it, just passing on what I've heard.
And for me it's another good example that I would have no purpose drinking decaf coffee.
For example, I when I was young I didn't like the taste of any alcoholic beverage, I never liked the taste of tobacco, I never liked the taste of coffee. To me, all of theses things were learned. And the effects were the main purpose. As I grew older and partook in these activities, I became acclimated to taste and smell allowing me to experience the differences in what is available.
But certainly starting using those things wasn't particularly enjoyable for me at all. However the effects were.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
BTW, where is the study that the antis refer to that says that Nicotine is the "most addictive drug."?
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/magazine/nicotine-harder-to-kickthan-heroin.html?pagewanted=all
From our favorite nattering nanny... but they did like Semois, so maybe it evens out.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Deathmetal : Wow, that's quite an article. Thanks for sharing. But is pipe smoking mentioned in there? I think not. It is all about cigarettes.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I like the nic kick I get from a new tobacco and usually become tolerant the next bowl. First time I had nightcap I went to bed right after. Couldn't sleep for 3 hours I was so wound up.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
loneredtree wrote:
BTW, where is the study that the antis refer to that says that Nicotine is the "most addictive drug."? Given that many of us are not addicted I think it is BS.
Not BS in any way shape or form if you bother to do some simple research. There are a plethora of scientific studies that have definitely proven beyond any doubt that nicotine is very high up on the list as one of the most addictive drugs. To think, and or ignore this simple proven fact is ignorance, or simply hiding ones head in the sand. Seeing that you only smoke about 1 to 4 times a month doesn’t prove that nicotine is not an addictive substance, but simply shows that you haven’t succumb (lucky for you) to any dependence upon it for the very fact that you rarely imbibe it. As for the reference to ‘antis”, which I can only assume means one who is against nicotine I’ll definitely raise my hand as one who is against it. If it were not for that cursed drug I would not be a 50+ year cigarette smoker and not spending countless money on it and also on pipe tobacco. But, there it is and I’ll continue much to the dislike of my doctor, daughter and granddaughter, and to be quite honest... myself.
Here are just a few studies/lists out of many about nicotine being one of the highest addictive drugs.
http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/the-biggest/the-10-most-addictive-drugs-in-the-world/8/
http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/10/10/10-most-addictive-drugs-list/
http://preventdisease.com/news/14/031214_10-Most-Addictive-Substances-Guess-Which-One-Is-Not-On-List.shtml

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In a world where most people are lying most of the time, I do not see nicotine dependency as a horrible thing or even a bad one. If the rest of your house is in order, or mostly so, worry not about this. I do see pipes as a healthier method of smoking than absorbing smoke through the lungs, but one can always smoke a cigarette with the mouth alone.
And many cigarettes are quite delicious.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Tobacco blends with low/light nicotine levels are similar to aromatics in my opinion...they belong in someone else's pipe.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
If you are merely absorbing the nicotine through the small blood vessels of your mouth, it is a slow slow process, and keeps absorbing long after you have put the pipe down. But, a short bast to the lungs is an immediate dose to your central nervous system, which causes the short-lived burst of energy. That's how I understand the idea.
I hope I was clear. Not being medically minded, I may have just slaughtered the whole concept, ha ha.
You know Ive been thinking about this... I wonder how much, one's cadence, affects the absorption of nicotine through the blood vessels... I for one have a very fast aggressive cadence, always have and I reckon will until I die... so with that said, maybe thats the reason it gives me more of a feeling of energy and focus than of drowsiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.