PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im gonna say all of it. The ritual, hunting for pipes, trying new tobacco and blending. Nicotine Im sure is a factor but its not at the top of the list. If I didnt like the taste and experience I wouldnt smoke.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I mainly grab straight Virginias and Virginia burley blends. For me it's the ritual. The smell of those tobaccos in the container. The lingering spiciness in my clothing and hair which wafts around me as I walk. The aftertaste of earthy breadiness. Watching the smoke rise aimlessly....

OK...I need to pack a bowl right now!
Lol that's the Nicotine calling my friend.
Weather people admit it or not just because your not inhaling doesn't mean your not absorbing vitamin N. Our brain has Nicotine receptors, Cannabis Receptors, and even mdma Receptors. But some people who injest any type of Nicotine will become somewhat dependent on it even if you don't know you are

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Lol that's the Nicotine calling my friend.
Weather people admit it or not just because your not inhaling doesn't mean your not absorbing vitamin N. Our brain has Nicotine receptors, Cannabis Receptors, and even mdma Receptors. But some people who injest any type of Nicotine will become somewhat dependent on it even if you don't know you are
Could be. Then again I'm not entirely sure. Sometimes due to schedule and weather I go sometimes an entire week between smokes. I never feel cravings and I don't smoke all day when I do smoke. I know people who smoke cigs every half hour to an hour and a half all day and some that smoke one cig a week. I'm still not convinced nicotine is addictive in every person anymore than alcohol is. I think a person's genetics and psychological constitution play a part in the addiction cycle as much as the substance itself.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Could be. Then again I'm not entirely sure. Sometimes due to schedule and weather I go sometimes an entire week between smokes. I never feel cravings and I don't smoke all day when I do smoke. I know people who smoke cigs every half hour to an hour and a half all day and some that smoke one cig a week. I'm still not convinced nicotine is addictive in every person anymore than alcohol is. I think a person's genetics and psychological constitution play a part in the addiction cycle as much as the substance itself.
100% but tobacco is tobacco weather 1 person gets more addicted then another is a fact with all abusive substances. The main thing is not having it. The way you know your hooked is when you don't have that bowl or cig to reach for. Luckily weather your broke or rich there is a tobacco for you. Same with drugs, if you can't afford 1 you can afford the other and so on and so on. Either way it's not good for mind, body, soul to dwell on such things. We only live once so might as well enjoy it the way want or else what's the point of living.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
100% but tobacco is tobacco weather 1 person gets more addicted then another is a fact with all abusive substances. The main thing is not having it. The way you know your hooked is when you don't have that bowl or cig to reach for. Luckily weather your broke or rich there is a tobacco for you. Same with drugs, if you can't afford 1 you can afford the other and so on and so on. Either way it's not good for mind, body, soul to dwell on such things. We only live once so might as well enjoy it the way want or else what's the point of living.
After 50 plus years on this planet I totally agree.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
It seems strange to me to make the assumption, as several comments on this thread have, that the primary reason one would choose to smoke a pipe is to sate a nicotine craving. That's roughly equivalent to suggesting that the only reason to drink a beer is for the buzz, and it jumps to the conclusion that others think the same way and have the same motivations.
I got into pipes as a non-smoker (having sampled a cigar or two in the past) because I had heard pipe tobacco described as "sweet, smooth, and mellow" - not universally true, of course. Nicotine was not a factor in my decision to try pipes, nor is it a factor in which tobaccos I choose to buy and smoke, when I choose to smoke, or how often I smoke. I decide to smoke and select a tobacco purely because I want to smoke a pipe and because I want to taste that particular tobacco at that time.
I find the nicotine in pipe tobacco virtually imperceptible most of the time, anyway. Put me in the "if tobacco had no nicotine but tasted the same, I would still smoke it" camp.

InWithBothFeet

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
As a new pipe smoker at 56 with no history of smoking during my life, a nicotine hit is not what I'm looking for. If one of the blends I try starts making my head buzz, I'm likely to take note of that and avoid that blend. I can't relax with my head spinning.

Reactions: Uguccione

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I smoke because I just plain enjoy it. I don't think about nicotine. The relaxation of the experience comes from finding a peaceful place away from noise and people. No noise...no bullshit from anything or anyone. Just being left alone to enjoy my pipe and tobacco. It makes me happy for awhile. That is why I smoke my pipes. Simple really.

jef
I prefer to smoke in solitude too.
Can't stand many of the noices produced in urban settings.

Reactions: Uguccione

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Beg to differ. True years ago, but fresh ground Peet's decaf is superb, and Clausthaler makes a good n/a beer
I don't know the brands you mentioned but I agree on the substance. When I was young, decaffeinated coffee was hot water, but now it's good and I drink it willingly. I suffer from insomnia and am sensitive to caffeine, so I only drink real coffee in the morning as soon as I wake up. For the rest of the day, if I feel like it, only decaffeinated.
Non-alcoholic beer was a great discovery for me. I drink beer only as a thirst quencher, therefore only in summer, when it is very hot. There's nothing better than a nice cold beer when you're very thirsty.
The problem is that alcohol makes you sweat; so yes, I drink it willingly but then I hate starting to sweat. This doesn't happen with the non-alcoholic one.

As for tobacco, I don't know. I like the taste of tobacco but I don't know if nicotine is part of this pleasure and I don't think decotinized tobacco exists. It certainly doesn't have any effect on me, it doesn't excite me, it doesn't wake me up, it doesn't relax me, it doesn't make me meditate. When I drink coffee I notice the effect it has on me, but smoking has no effect on me.
Except for the nicotine hit, after a smoke I feel exactly the same as before.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty