PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Quick question. In general, which contains more nicotine by weight, cigar tobacco or pipe tobacco? Is it a question of alkalinity and absorption rate? I've heard VA and Burley both have the same amount but va is absorbed by the lungs better and Burley by mouth and nose. But by weight, is there more nicotine in cigar tobacco or va or burley

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Funny you should ask, I am not an expert but just smoked a cigar that was given to me by a friend...that thing packed a punch compared to what I am used to (mostly smoke Va. flakes and VaPers), and I don't think it was particularly strong, (spelling may be off) it was a Dominico Turano

...nicely made, interesting flavors...but, also, reminds me why I smoke pipes.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Don’t know on a weight basis, but generally cigars have more noticeable nicotine than a bowlful of most pipe blends, with exceptions here and there. There are very few pipe blends that will give me a buzz with one bowl, unless I am very dehydrated. Of course there is cigar size and bowl size to consider, I am just generalizing.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
As others have said, serving size matters. I like the 4x32 cigarillos for this reason.

I do think there is more diversity in nicotine content amongst pipe blends. Even mild cigars have a noticeable amount to me. Black Cavendish? Don't notice a thing.

Reactions: BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cigars. But as cigrmaster said, it depends on the tobacco type in each. My cigar nemesis was La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero. Each draw was very potent, and I usually smoked the more potent over the less. Truth be told I came to prefer medium-full over the full-bodied. But then I'd go for the fire breathers all over again.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The only cigar I've ever had a problem with nicotine were some Cuban machine made Upmanns. Too much for me. Several of the Gawith Flakes and all of the ropes pretty much beat me up. Oh, and Royal Yacht.

Mike S

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
With a cigar you’re also basically dipping unless you use a holder. So way more nic coming in. Also size matters as @cshubhra said. A cigar is usually going to be at least 3x the amount of tobacco in a pipe (obviously depending on cigar or pipe, but I’d guess even a cigarillo to be 2x the amount on average). And the pipe tobacco isn’t contacting your lips and tongue etc.

when I was first starting with pipes after a while I picked up some cigars to see what I thought. Too much nic and I did not think much of them. Would rather get any nic from the smoke, not chawing a cigar.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I've only ever actually got sick off of cigars. Those last 1/3rds always sneak up on ya, especially on the larger sizes. I've almost exclusively given up on large cigars for that reason.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I have to say cigars. I hardly ever finish one—not even the ones rated as 'very mild'. The only ones I could finish without feeling any nicotine effects were these:

_MG_6711.jpg

Too bad I only bought one tin and I can't get them here.

Yep, they're not technically cigars, but puritos. Still.

Hardly ever felt nicotine from pipes, even from the s'posedly strong Nightcap. The only blends I can recall getting a nicotine effect from are Ennerdale, War Horse Bar, and, suprisingly, Blockade Runner ?.

Well, I have to say I did get a nasty hit from Sillem's Blau, but that was my fault, kinda, as I incidentally inhaled. ?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
As someone who regularly smokes chopped up cigars in pipes, by weight cigar tobacco is generally fairly high in nicotine and it is easily absorbed orally. It is usually comparable to strong burleys (which it pretty much is). As mentioned, one cigar is also a lot more tobacco than one pipe, and you absorb a good bit from cigar to mouth contact.

20200625_212421.jpg
20200625_212804.jpg

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Because of the fermentation cigars are more alkaline and the nicotine is more readily absorbed. They are also most always a Burley variety which puts them higher than many pipe tobaccos.

But there are some strong pipe tobacco and mild cigars, so gram per gram depends, with cigars usually being higher. But cigars being much more weight than the average bowl and cigars pretty much win in the nic department.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the formula would involve how high a dose over what period of time. With pipes you tend to stop and start and stretch out the dose. With cigars, you have a greater quantity of tobacco in most cases, and you tend to smoke it more continuously in most cases. I smoke a lot of burley pipe tobacco, or burley based blends, and an average size cigar still gives me more of a nicotine buzz, though this varies from one brand cigar to another. On the other hand, cigar leaf smoked in a pipe is quite mild; which leads me to believe it is the burley filler rather than the wrapper that carries most of the nicotine.

Reactions: F4RM3R
Jan 27, 2020
I had a DE Java Mint petite corona the other day and it made me woozy but had 5 bowls of Newminster 400 back to back last week with little uncomfortable effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.