PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
I have yet to get a nicotine buzz from pipe smoking. Same for cigars, never happpened. I wonder if it’s because I used to smoke cigs back in the day

Reactions: Coreios and yanoJL

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I highly recommend you pick up some Peterson's Irish Flake, don't eat all day and give it a try lol. I have a good memory smoking with a friend having done just that and all of a sudden I was on the ground with the room spinning. Good times...but not something I try to repeat. To this day when I see him he says (use your thickest Irish accent)...Ohhh, the Irish flake, laddie.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Give it a shot and see what you can handle. Everyone will have their own experience with smoking on an empty stomach and it depends heavily on the tobacco.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
I had an egg for breakfast and that’s until now at 2:30pm. No nicotine buzz on my third bowl of a Virginia blend but other tobaccos would have my head feel like it’s going to split open.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I find it's a very fine line between a buzz and outright sickness, as another member posted earlier. You just have to go slow and steady and monitor your body. I do find I can smoke longer and stronger after a good meal. A few weeks ago I smoked a Toro cigar on an empty stomac and ended up on the bathroom floor!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I've been, and still am, a cigarette smoker for the last 19-20 years. No pipe blend ever gave me a buzz no matter how little I had to eat.

However, rustica will make me sick if I smoke too much of it. Skips right past buzz and goes into nicotine poisoning. That's the sweats, upset stomach, etc. Even after a hearty meal and plenty of water, an entire bowl of rustica will still make me sick.

Reactions: El Capitán

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Although I do not purposefully seek what I think you are calling a nicotine buzz…. when it on occasion happens, I always tend to view it as a bonus and rather enjoy it.

I do not recall ever getting a “sick” feeling from my pipe tobacco.

Reactions: El Capitán

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Definite difference between buzz and sick. Never gotten sick from pipe tobacco, had pleasant buzz but I'll put the pipe down as it starts. More often than not though it's the hiccups. Cigars yes , I've been catatonic from some strong ones where I can't stand up but not sick. Stong snus in the morning is a bad idea. Snuff is the best for a quick buzz like 60 seconds

Reactions: ThermionicScott

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Of course tobacco potency is the biggest factor and your response…. I like higher end potency tobacco’s which are generally made from better leaf.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Yeah, be careful with what you wish for. Getting a cigarette buzz and getting a nic buzz from the pipe aren't even in the same league.

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
If I feel too much Vitamin N is starting to kick in, I just slow down and pay more attention to my cadence.

It's all personal. For me the nic hit can come on an empty or full stomach

Also something sweet like a candy bar can help with the nausea.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
It doesn't ever bother me either way and I don't ever feel nauseated. It hits me either way as it's absorbed through your mouth and not your stomach. I find it more satisfying to smoke after a meal like when I used to smoke a cigarette after a meal.