PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Is true you can get a good nicotine buzz if you smoke on a empty stomach?

Last edited by a moderator:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I never had nicotine poisoning that was pleasant. Wear your running shoes for the bolt for the toilet. I used to smoke a lot of hefty pipe tobacco, and that didn't bother me. Double Ligero cigars did. When my stomach turned I had three seconds to put the cigar down.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
There is an awfully fine line for me at times between nicotine satisfaction and an unpleasant overdose that leads to sickness. So a nicotine buzz isn't necessarily a good experience. Gotta learn when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. I just put down a bowl of HH Rustica after about 65 minutes because I was starting to feel unpleasantness coming on. However at other times I've been able to smoke that tobacco for 90 minutes without ill effect. It can vary quite a bit depending on a host of factors including whether you've eaten recently or not

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Don’t listen to embers. Those Rustica tins are empty because he stuffed all the flakes in that Dunhill at one time ?

I have actually gotten a surprise nicotine buzz from blends that don’t usually have any noticeable N for me. It usually happens when I’m busy forging knives in the shop. I’ll forget to eat or keep up my water intake. Standing in front of a 2,000 degree Fahrenheit forge when it’s already 100 degrees outside will dehydrate you quickly. Blends that usually go unnoticed can definitely give a sneak attack when you’re dehydrated and hungry. I’ve had several rather innocuous blends give me a slight buzz, and some pretty strong (but easily manageable) regulars cause me to have to set the pipe down for a while. It can happen.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Never got a nic buzz from pipe tobacco.

But, several years back when I was buying stuff on CigarBid like it was going out of style, I bought several boxes of Man O War Warhorse Ruination 6x60’s. Stuffed with plenty of Ligero and whatever else.

I put them in the humidor to rest. After a month I figured I’d try one out. I’d been smoking cigars for 25 years or so at that point.

After 1/3rd of the way through it, I broke out in a cold sweat and was dizzy. Kept after it for about 10 more minutes, then to set it down to take a break.

About 7 months after that, I fired one up. Absolutely fabulous. Flavor bomb. Smoked it till I burned my fingertips.

I’ve still got some. Maybe I’ll smoke one tomorrow. Been a year or two.

5FFEAD36-46C4-4AED-8B2E-ABDFA8893359.jpeg

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
I've gotten real sick one time - even without having an empty stomach. Didn't know what was going on, just kept puffing. Finally got so sick I could only sit there in a sweat, hugely nauseated, trying not to hurl. But an empty stomach can sure get you there more easily. It was no buzz... it was near puke nausea. If I get anything feeling heading that direction, I set the pipe down. It kind of makes you want to smoke more when it starts coming on, but that is the worst thing you can do, instead go eat a little something. However, if it's a nice buzz for you... then wow, nice thing for you!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never pack a pipe for a nic buzz, and I seem to not have cravings when I don't smoke a pipe for some days. When a nic buzz comes along, it is usually mild enough to be pleasant. When I got too ambitious with my first bowls of Nightcap, I was light headed, but I was smoking on the porch at night, and eventually just let the pipe go out and went to bed. Nightcap indeed.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Only time I’ve ever been sick was when I was a kid, probably about 15. It wasn’t really nicotine induced, but just a reaction I guess. I was dipping wintergreen Skoal, and a buddy slapped me on the back. It was good-natured, I think maybe he had told a joke or something, but I accidentally swallowed some of my spit and snuff. I barfed instantly. It took me a long time to warm up to anything wintergreen flavored (even gum) again.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I recall when I was in my teen years my neighbor who was working on construction plants in Russia regularly supplied me with full-size Cuban cigars mostly it was Partagas and Hoyo de Monterrey, then I smoked those full-size cigars during the night when my mom went to sleep and almost every time once I had finished with those cigars I felt more or less sick, sometimes lying on the floors,lol, but yes even now I remember how tasty they were and smelled divine, those days my regular smoke were unfiltered Camels and French Gauloise cigarettes

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Only the first Marlboro Red in the morning. And haven't had one in couple of months. Don't get nic buzz from pipe smoke, at least for me. Letting Rustica sit for awhile before opening the tin.