PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Here is The American Society of Addiction Medicine's definition of addiction:

"Addiction is a treatable, chronic medical disease involving complex interactions among brain circuits, genetics, the environment, and an individual’s life experiences. People with addiction use substances or engage in behaviors that become compulsive and often continue despite harmful consequences."

The definition seems to be somewhat vague. On the one hand, it's described as a medical disease. But then it's said to involve an interaction of several factors that do not include physical dependency.

I see nicotine 'addiction' (and many other 'addictions') as a personal choice, rather than a trap that people fall into. Of course, there are some substances that are highly physically addictive, and some addictive behaviors that people are powerless to change by themselves.

Reactions: FLDRD

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
For me, a long time nicotine addict cigarettes and dip effect me the same way. The initial nic hit and then I need another and another. With the pipe, it’s more of a long term fix. I can smoke a bowl in the morning and don’t need more all day. It’s like extended release medicine. But I definitely know I’m addicted. That’s just how it is for me.

Reactions: MtnGeo

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I see nicotine 'addiction' (and many other 'addictions') as a personal choice, rather than a trap that people fall into.
The pipe is a personal choice. But, those with an "addictive" personality can easily, with no intent, become physically addicted. So, addiction may possibly be an unintended consequence of what was thought to be a rather benign choice to take up smoking a pipe. Painting all people with the "same broad brush" is ignoring the wide and varied personalities found in the human race.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Status
Not open for further replies.