PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Free agency is officially underway now. This morning has had a lot of big moves. Most notably Daniel Alfredsson heading to the Motor City to join the Wings and Nathan Horton heading out to the Buckeye State to play with the Blue Jackets.
Also signed today Andrew Ference is heading home to Edmonton to play with his hometown Oilers, Ray Emry is filling in for Brygalov in Philadelphia, Ribeiro is headed to the desert to join the Coyotes, Ryan Clowe to the Devils, Mike Komisarek to the Canes, and Thomas Greiss went to Phoenix with Ribeiro.
Been interesting fun free agent Friday so far.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought the Caps would lose Riberio, hopefully they'll find a another center for the 2nd line.

Where did Bryzgalov land?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Alfie gone... :crying: Ryan in... :clap:
I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!!!!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Where did Bryzgalov land?
His home planet eventually, but no hockey team yet that I can see...
Iginla to Boston is just dang weird after all the drama at the deadline.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was a bit surprised by Iginla heading to Boston. Genius move by Chiarelli though basing the contract at $1.8 million to hit this year and incentives of $4.2 million to hit next year if they're achieved.
The Bobby Ryan trade kind of surprised me. I know he's been shopped around the past two seasons. He was such a staple of the Ducks though with Getz and Perry. It should be a good trade for both teams though, Silfverberg is the real deal and I've heard Noesen has a lot of potential. Plus, a first round pick is never a bad thing to pick up.
Alfie heading to Detroit surprised me as well. It's not money, or a shot at the Cup because Ottawa has a very solid team.
Stephen Weiss is following Alfie to Detroit. Good pick up for the Wings since Filppula is heading down south to I think Tampa.
Ray Emry is back in Philly. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
Nathan Horton is now a Blue Jacket. Good place for him. Solid team that's on the rise. Plus, the move to the Eastern Conference and less long distance travel should help the team.
Still some big names left on the board. Jagr, Brunner, Grabovski, Roy, Penner, Morrow, and Cleary to name a few.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Things are still emotional in Ottawa today, but the general consensus is that few believe what Alfie said. There has to be something behind it that soured him, I don't blame Murray but I suspect it may have something to do with Melnyk. I'm devastated, since it was the worst way for him to go. No compensation, no chance to say goodbye properly. Unless he wins the Cup with the Wings, I think he'll regret leaving for his last year...
On the other hand, I think the Sens got better yesterday. They paid a lot for Ryan (Noesen is the one I thought was key, Silfverberg is awesome but he lacked...something?) but now Spezza has his go-to guy. Plus, they should all be healthy by training camp. Makings of a sick team. I think the MacArthur signing was a steal.
As for our arch enemies in Toronto, I think the Bolland trade and the Clarkson signing were huge for them, but 7 years for Clarkson?? Weird. I think they way-overpaid for Bozak too. I also don't understand the glee in Toronto over the Seguin trade.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
As per usual, Buffalo has been quiet and will most likely join the party late, with no big names. So hard to be a Buffalo sports fan

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
As a sabres fan it hurts to see Ryan go to Ottawa a lot. I was excited to see alfredson leave Ottawa for Detroit but then I remembered Detroit is in our division this year...

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Why are Toronto fans so happy about Seguin being traded... The chants at TD garden of "thank you Kessel" are done. Burke I am sure was smiling when he heard the news.

Bozak's was a good signing. We got him cheaper than he was asking and he is key in the face off circle.

I think Ottawa did well. I think it would have been more interesting to see Alfredson play with Ryan.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Kovalchuck retired. Not too surprising though. A lot of Europeans tend to head home when they hit 30-35yrs old. It's a shame for the organization he didn't do it two weeks ago though so they could have made a big splash on free agents.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The Flyers picked up Vincent Lecavalier from Tampa. He might be a good fit there. I wonder if it was just salary cap issues that made Tampa give him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.