PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
So I'm wrapping up work here in Knoxville, TN (Went to Smokey's, didn't make it to the Leaf and Ale, but I did drive by it), and I'm headed north to Dayton, OH next. Well, technically Miamisburg, but I wanted to see if anyone here has gone to Smoke-n-Joe. What's it like?
I got a new (to me) pipe here in TN, so I might make it a habit of getting a pipe in each town I go to for work.

jeglwar

Lurker
Jun 12, 2011
On your way to Dayton, you should drop by the Carrousel Pipe Shoppe in Cincinnati. It is located within 3 miles of I-75, off of exit 10b. I just posted this in the trade forum Sunday:
My friends at Carrousel Tobacco Shoppe, 8001 Reading Rd, Cincinnati OH,(513) 821-5350, just received a large collection of GBD pipes as a part of an estate. The man was a serious collector of English pipes(with the exception of Dunhill) and traveled the world as a part of his work(he payed Cello in the Cincinnati Symphony). He was a friend of the Carrousel and his death was heart felt. So far the Carrousel has received from his estate 75+ GBD, 100 James Upshall, 50+Ser Jacopo's, 25+Comoy's, 8+Charatan's(Lane era mostly) 3 pre-transitional Barling's and lots of others. Most of the pipes he collect were large-extra large. Today they've asked me to list several of the GBD's on Ebay(under username JEGLWAR). Please contact Arnold between the hours of 10am-5:30pm est if you would like to learning more about the collection. I can send requested pictures of pipes of interest for them(they are both not interested in computer whatsoever). Just mention you saw John's post.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Good luck in Dayton, Fred. I wish I had some stops for you to make, but I haven't been up their in almost 15 years. There used to be a little tobacco shop in Englewood, just north of Dayton, but it seems like they closed shop years ago.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
you'll like the wharf. not quite the pipe selection they had 8-9 years ago. but they have lots of good tobaccos. tons of cigars too, if that's your thing.

carousel in cinci is cool. rad guys, and lot and lots of estate pipes.

strauss tobacco is also in downtown cinci. a few pipes, couple shelves of tins, and about a dozen house blends. real cool guys.

there are three or four good tobacco shops in the columbus area as well. i remember barclay. the other names are escaping me.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get back down to Cincinnati, but I did get to stop by the Wharf today. Not a bad shop. Seems like they could use a bit more space, though. The clerks had to move some boxes around behind the counter in order to access the cabinet where the shirts were stored. But I got a cheap corncob pipe and an ounce of some whiskey flavored tobacco and sat there to wait out some rain for about an hour. Very knowledgeable staff. If I'm ever back in town I'll be sure to go back there.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Just stopped in the Wharf a week ago while I was in town, pipe selection has thinned way out, but the Indescribable blend is still indescribable. They say they are the 5th largest retailer in the nation.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
The indescribable blend is 1Q mixed with something.
They used to have really nice meer pipes for sale. Someone said the owners son carved them. I can't confirm it though. It's a nice shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.