PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I recently did a comparison tasting with PS Proper English an Newminster Ultimate English. I found that the Newminster seemed to a bit more refined and had a bit more going on. The PS was good also, just a bit more straight forward. Anyone who likes PSPE should try NUE, I think you will like it. These two are close enough to say that one is better than the other will come down to personal preference.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, I'm glad somebody else has noted that the Newminster line appears to be designed as head-to-head competition

for the Peter Stokkebye brands. Not exactly copies, but competition for market share. For a while I thought I was over

thinking the issue. In any event, the blends that I have tried, from each company, seem to be high quality entries in the

bulk pipe tobacco market. I too prefer Newminster's Superior Round Slices, but that won't keep me from stocking up on LBF.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I can't tell a bit of difference in the two "Oriental" Englishes. After reading something Roth wrote in a post about what dark fired meant I ordered som Newminster Superior Round Slices. I found I prefer the Newminster also.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Well it looks like I have another bulk to try out out. Newminster goes on the list.

B

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I'm looking forward to trying the Newminster English Oriental. I really like PSEOS and if the NEO is as good or better I will be happy.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just popped open a 1 yr. old jar of 400 SNF and was greeted by the faint aroma of -- get this -- strawberry jam!

They say it's not an aromatic, and after smoking a bowl I have to agree. There are no artificial flavors, even though

that strawberry jam aroma reappears in the taste and finish.
This sounds like a contradiction, but I've experienced that faint strawberry flavor before -- in Rattray's Brown Clunee.

So I'm beginning to believe that some Virginia varieties and/or preparations produce that flavor naturally.
This is not to say that 400 SNF occupies a spot at the fruity end of the Virginia flavor spectrum. It is definitely a

sharp, grassy flake with light citrus overtones. It is also fairly sweet and can burn hot if you puff carelessly;

but its dark, turbinado sweetness is very enjoyable. For me, there isn't much of a nicotine hit, but some would call

it a mild-medium strength smoke.
This is one of those racy Va. flakes that veteran Va. flake smokers will enjoy immensely, but it needs some time in the jar.

I think Altadis 507-C is a better economy Va. flake for those wishing to stockpile a bulk purchase.
ps. This is definitely not in a class with Brown Clunee, which I mention only in the context of that strawberry aroma.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
This sounds like a contradiction, but I've experienced that faint strawberry flavor before -- in Rattray's Brown Clunee.

So I'm beginning to believe that some Virginia varieties and/or preparations produce that flavor naturally.
It's funny you should mention that because the other night I had a bowl of Dunhill MM965 and I swear I tasted a light berry note in the first 1/4 of the bowl. It was mild but definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.