PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I have been working through a myriad of burley blends, and this is one of those I purchased a sample size of to try.

It looks like rubbed out flake, with some occasional partial flakes in the mix. The smell in the bag doesn’t reveal any topping to me, just a tobacco smell.

I first tried a couple bowls of this over a month ago, and I liked it but it wasn’t a standout in any way.

I’ve tried it again last week, and now I find that I have been craving it. I’ve been smoking it almost every day.

It doesn’t have a strong flavor, it really is a mild burley. Easy to smoke, I have been drying it a bit but I smoked a couple of bowls without any dry time and it burned quite well (with a loose loading). I catch just a hint of cocoa here and there, but even that doesn’t taste like a topping, it just has a very nice gentle tobacco flavor. Has some woody and earthy qualities to the flavor. It isn’t harsh and it doesn’t bite.

I don’t see much written about this one, anyone else smoking this and enjoying it as much as I am? It is the least flavored burley I have tried, and I think it will be something I will be keeping around, I’m thinking of getting a pound with my next order. This is a very basic tobacco without a complex flavor profile, and I think that is what I like about it. Just a nice plain burley.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Never tried it but it sounds like it's right up my alley. I like Sutliff Burley Delight 212 and this sounds similar although I expect NM to be more refined. I have pounds of their 400 and 403 cellared.
I recently picked up some Peter Stokkebye PS41 and I have to say it exceeded my expectations. I plan to pick up a pound on my next order.

Reactions: Ryan

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Never tried it but it sounds like it's right up my alley. I like Sutliff Burley Delight 212 and this sounds similar although I expect NM to be more refined. I have pounds of their 400 and 403 cellared.
I recently picked up some Peter Stokkebye PS41 and I have to say it exceeded my expectations. I plan to pick up a pound on my next order.
I love the PS41, one of my favorites. I’ve been smoking the Burley Delight as well, and I like it but I think the Newminster has a more natural tobacco flavor. The burley seems just a tad bit lighter than the 212. I don’t find the 212 harsh, but the 702 seems smoother.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
PS41 does not come up much but it is a solid offering from PS. I smoke 212 in my yard cobs. I will definitely be picking up some 702.

Reactions: Ryan