PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Get 25g of St Bruno, buy a cheap corn cob - I just bought one for £3.50 from GQ Tobacco.
Let it dry for ten or twenty minutes before you light it.
Smoke slow (it’s not a cigarette), light it as many times as you need to.
Enjoy. ??

Reactions: dctune

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Take a lot of the advice you get, especially from YouTube, with large doses of salt - a lot of pipe smokers over think all this to death. At it's most basic, get a pipe, get some tobacco, stuff it, light it, smoke it.

A bit more in-depth: Getting a Corn Cob is a good idea for as a starting point. If you're in the UK there are also some decent tobacco samplers. Just go with what you like the sound of at first, eventually you'll narrow down your tastes. Also, pack lightly, smoke gently.

Reactions: dctune

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You've gotten what you asked for, and then some!

• Anyone can get by with one pipe, but who wants to? The pipe needs to be smoked dry, and then can be cleaned and lit up again right away. But most smoke a bit damp, so actual drying time is a good thing.

• Some love cobs, some won't touch them.

• Some love Latakia blends; others won't touch them.

• Good luck in your peregrinations!

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Hi, and welcome from Malaysia! I'm quite a new pipe smoker too, I started last year December. I started with briar pipe first, then only corn cob pipes. I started corn cob because of reading all the posts in this forum, thinking, why not I get one and try, and now, I have 5 corn cob pipes ?

I still smoke briar pipes, only briar pipes. No other material. I tried other material pipe before, end they all ended up in rubbish bin. In fact, I have more briar pipes than corn cob pipes. Especially recently started to get into estate pipes and vintage pipes. Don't worry about how many pipes you own, everyone here for sure have more than 3 pipes ? Every month, I tell myself, this is the last pipe I get, then the following month, get another one. I started smoking pipe for 6 months, can you imagine how many pipes I have now? ?

Picking a tobacco that suits you, learn how to pack and learn how to smoke slowly is important, coz that's what keeps you going. You don't want to have tongue bite all the time and then give up smoking pipe. I am smoking aromatic at the moment, only aromatic. In fact, I wanted to try all the different aromatic. Maybe will start on other tobacco soon.

Happy pipe smoking, and keep it going! ?puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OldWill

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
You've gotten what you asked for, and then some!

• Anyone can get by with one pipe, but who wants to? The pipe needs to be smoked dry, and then can be cleaned and lit up again right away. But most smoke a bit damp, so actual drying time is a good thing.

• Some love cobs, some won't touch them.

• Some love Latakia blends; others won't touch them.

• Good luck in your peregrinations!
Peregrination might be the most perfect word for the journey that is pipe smoking.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Title edited for caps and specificity.

I have absolutely ZERO experience with pipes. I bought a crappy £15 pound one at some knock off shop ages ago, it didn't work.

It's been something that's been on mind and has been appealing to me for years. Cigarettes are gross to me, and too corrosive to one's health. Cigars make me feel like I'm smoking tree bark... plus it's too expensive.

But I like sensation and flavour of something burning. It seems like a pleasant pass-time.
I was thinking something like... a corn cob pipe since that's what most beginners go with? But I have no idea what price range is acceptable...

That and tobacco types are utterly alien to me, I will be doing my own research intermittently so it's not a matter of me being lazy. I would just also like to receive information from multiple people, not just one or two sites that one guy writing about pipes made.

I appreciate those willing to assist me in this endeavour and taking the time to read this.
Hi and welcome.
Although I'm no elder and certainly no expert in pipe smoking, I would whole heartedly suggest you going with a corn-cob. I used one for quite awhile before moving "up" to briar.
I've also given several away to guys I know, who expressed an interest in pipe smoking and are real happy with the MM corn-cobs.

As for tobaccos, well that of course is a purely personal journey. There's a lot of information on here from guys who are way more experienced than me you can offer advise.
Saying that, I would offer staying away from aromatics. From my own experience, and I dare say others would chime in too, tongue bite is inevitable.
Enjoy your journey.