PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome to the forum!! There are several manufacturers of inexpensive pipes. There is Rossi, Vauen, Brigham, and of course estates on eBay. I would have someone try eBay for you because of your lack of knowledge.

Reactions: DLow

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Thank you for this! I'm currently looking over a selection of Molina pipes, and they have several that are both aesthetically my style and roughly within the price range I was looking for! :)

Unfortunately, the site that I'm looking on is out of stock for the ones that I'd be most interested in. I like the bent apple shaped pipes, preferably in the darker wood shades, but not black. More like dark finished. The one pictured here in my attachment isn't bad, but I'm unsure of the light-colored stem. I feel like it may suffer from an unsightly yellowing with time.

Does anyone here have experience with light colored stems and whether or not they would yellow with use?
Molina pipes are usually always available on EBay. I have about 20 of various styles and shapes and they all have a great draw and provide a very good smoke.

H

HRPufnstuf

Welcome to the party! You're in a good place for tutelage on your new hobby.
From...
1702746697099.png

Jun 26, 2023
Welcome! The Ropp and Rossi suggestions are solid. I’d also say Kaywoodies are a good pick for your price range. However, nothing beats a cob for a starter pipe. They smoke cool, don’t gurgle, and are easy on the wallet.

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly
E

Esrafel

Greetings from Hampton Roads in VA.
I'm sure you know by now these dudes are pretty cool.

Have fun!

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Welcome and Id get an old estate or two and clean them up. Molina are reported to be pretty good and they are affordable.

As for your tobacco have you set it out to dry? A lot of is will set aros out all day or more. Way less bite and it smokes better.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Hello and welcome from Orcas, WA! I love my Bones briar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from California.

I'm a big fan of value in estate pipes. A few people won't buy them as they've been in someone's mouth, but then they'll still go to the odd restaurant.

Good luck!

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Hello! New to the forum, but have been lurking for a couple months and coming to the forums to seek advice. Relatively new to pipe smoking. I spent 25 years as a cigarette smoker and quit a few months ago. I managed to quit cold turkey for several weeks, but there have been times I've missed the "ritual" of smoking during certain relaxation activities. So I was looking to replace cigarettes with something that I didn't inhale, and didn't necessarily have to do all day, take breaks from work, etc.

I had fond memories of visiting my great grandfather's house, and he was a pipe tobacco smoker, and I enjoyed the smell of his home. I don't recall what he smoked. It came in pouches is all I remember. Probably some codger blend or something.

So anyhow, I started out by taking a trip to my local smoke shop, buying a dirt cheap plastic pipe with a metal bowl inside it, and buying a pound of cheap, bulk vanilla blend that is super wet and goopy.(This was all before my first visit to these forums)

The tongue bite on that plastic pipe with goopy vanilla aro was insane. I've since looked much more into proper methods of pipe smoking, and have got to the point where I can mostly keep a bowl lit almost all the way through without relighting, and without developing tongue bite, even with my goopy aro.

All that said, I'm planning on investing in a good briar pipe soon, and was hoping someone on the forums here could help a new guy out with a recommendation. I like the look of the smooth, glossy briars more than the textured pipes, and prefer a deep bowl that will hold a decent amount of tobacco, and a curved pipe rather than straight. Looking for something that could stand up to being an every day smoker. I'm working on a limited budget, and hoping to spend around $50 and not have to buy another pipe for quite awhile.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!