PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msanford

Lurker
Dec 8, 2012
First of all, I want to say hello to all. Happy to be on here. I have been reading posts on here and may have found some answers to my questions. I have smoked cigarettes for years and have tried to smoke a pipe off and on for about 3 years. I have invested more money and time on my pipes lately. I noticed the other night that while I was smoking a bowl, that after a while, I would take a sip of my drink and my mouth would sting like heck. I figure I am smoking it hot. Sometimes my bowl gets hot too. I try to be aware of my pack and my draw. I think I get a little too greedy with the taste, I do like my tobacco a lot. Any advice or words of wisdom. Thanks and again, looking forward to being a part of all this.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Hey there msanford, welcome to pipesmagazine. I'm new on here as well, but it sounds to me like you're smoking it too hot or fast and the tobacco is biting you. Of course that's just my amateur guess, there are far more learned men and women on here than me, and I'm sure someone will chime in so we can learn more about this.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
...it sounds to me like you're smoking it too hot or fast...

Welcome to the forum, msanford. This would be my guess as well.
Beginners often burn their tongues by drawing too hard. This is usually necessitated by packing the tobacco too tight. Try using less tobacco and smoking slower. It's counter-intuitive, but using less tobacco will usually result in a longer smoke.
Have a look at these How-to Tips from SmokingPipes. They describe the packing process step by step.
And let us know how you do.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
What the others have said, but also consider the tobacco you're smoking. Is it a fairly wet aromatic? If so, lay a bowlful out on some paper towels to dry for an hour or two before you smoke. Pinch it before you smoke it, and if it clumps, then it is still a bit wet. Let it dry some more. Now, if it isn't a very wet tobacco, then like the others have said, you're probably getting excited and smoking it too fast and hot. Slow down and relax some. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, and the world of pipe smoking. What you are experiencing is so common it's almost considered a rite of passage among pipe smokers. Rest assured that in time, with improvements in technique, you will learn to avoid the problem.
Read this: Tongue Bite: The Bane of Pipe Smoking
Also, it may sound counter-intuitive but, being a former cigarette smoker, you may need to move to a stronger tobacco blend -- or one with more body, or whole mouth feel. This is because some lighter, milder blends just don't deliver the nicotine and body you require. So, to compensate, you end up smoking more aggressively, and even a mild blend will scorch the tongue with steam (which is burn, not bite).

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I'm a fast puffer myself, so I'm familiar with this, and yes it does hurt quite a bit.
It will depend on your tobacco, and how much time you put between puffs. Slow it down, change tobaccos, and you'll find your limits.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Also, it may sound counter-intuitive but, being a former cigarette smoker, you may need to move to a stronger tobacco blend -- or one with more body, or whole mouth feel. This is because some lighter, milder blends just don't deliver the nicotine and body you require. So, to compensate, you end up smoking more aggressively, and even a mild blend will scorch the tongue with steam (which is burn, not bite).
+1

I personally like Peterson's Irish Oak, it's got a good flavor and it give's you a nice nic hit with a slow smoke It also has a nice flavor,and a lot of flavor. Not an Aromatic but still good stuff...oh and yeah I'm coming off nails too

msanford

Lurker
Dec 8, 2012
Wow! Thank you gentlemen for all the responses. I just got my son to bed and thought I would see if anyone noticed my post. Did not expect all the responses. I really really appreciate it. I will read the links suggested and follow your advice. Can't wait actually. joshwolftree, thanks for the tobacco suggestion. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I will try some different tobaccos once I have a good list of suggestions. Cyber handshake to you all!

G'night.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm new here too -- although a pipe smoker for 30+ years -- so forgive me for being a contrarian. If you feel the "bite" when you take a drink after puffing, this may have more to do with what you're drinking than with the tobacco or your technique. The heat from smoke will sensitize your tongue no matter how "cool" the actual smoking may be. If you follow your puffing with a carbonated beverage, it's definitely going to tingle on your tongue -- as will anything alcoholic. Coffee/tea seem to work especially well. Milk would probably be a good option too except that it's going to coat your tongue and likely ruin the entire experience; even cold water can feel slightly uncomfortable.
In my experience, tongue bit while smoking can be due to too-fast puffing (and some blends require you to slow down even more than usual), too-tight packing (so you're having to draw harder for each puff), and a lower-quality blend. You don't mention what you're smoking, but lots of "aromatics" get their aroma from additives that can make smoking them an unpleasant experience; drugstore blends are pretty much worthless because of this, in my opinion. But even some tinned tobaccos from major brands are notorious for tongue bite.
Bob

Dec 6, 2012
im new to the forum as well its a awesome forum and real nice community ......it happens to most pipe smokers in the beginning it happen to me it wasn't the best feeling i cured it with some cigars hahaha ...also when you try new and different tobacco's it happens as well

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As a cigarette smoker myself, perhaps a couple of noteworthy tips for the smoker making the switch.
1) we look for big clouds of smoke. It's just something we've gotten used to. So we have a tendency to draw really hard on a pipe. Means hot smoke. So learn to take puffs, more than drags.

2) we tend to smoke pretty fast when smoking cigarettes, when you do the same on a pipe, you get more hot smoke. Slow down. Count to 60 or so between puffs. A rhythm of a couple of puffs, then a bit of a longer drag, then count gets you a feel for rhythm and slower pace.

3) we inhale. With pipe smoke that won't work very well either. So you can either breathe through your nose or French inhale. I know I do ;-)

4) we need a quick nicotine fix. And since we're newbies we don't know how to treat flakes properly. Or how to pack a pipe properly. There is one tobacco that seems to work quite well for that and that is Kendal's Kentucky. It's a fine ribbon called shag and is not very finicky to load and keep lit. Or Haddos Delight is pretty easy as well. Peterson Irish flake packs a good punch too, but flakes require some practice.

5) we will still scorch our tongue and mouth. Get biotene, practice good mouth hygiene, drink ice water while smoking. If your tongue or mouth feels sore, give it a couple of days rest.
Those little tips are based on my experiences over the last two years or so. As you get better, you get the rhythm, the tongue burn (not bite) will get less as your pipe is packs better and you smoke slower. After all practice makes art. And don't get frustrated
Happy puffing

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A couple of things that I have found that help with tongue bite is to drink iced tea and iced coffee while smoking. Also get your self some Biotene for dry mouth and it will also sooth your tongue a bit. There is also an issue that I deal with and that is alkalinity in my body chemistry. There are certain blends I cannot smoke do to high concentrations of Red Virginia's. If you ever find you feel an acid burn the minute the smoke begins hitting your tongue, put that pipe down, it will only get worse as you progress. Normal tongue bite from heat or steam takes a while to feel, where as the acid burn is immediate. Hopefully you will not run into this issue, but if you do at least you will know what it is. It wan't until I joined this site that I understood I had this issue.

Reactions: cortezattic
Status
Not open for further replies.