PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Hi All. I'm now just shy of half a year in on this pipe smoking thing. Just like that, I now own 10 MM corn cob pipes, 3 hardwoods from the same company, and three briars. I find myself smoking the cobs most of the time. I love them. It's a tactile thing. I've tried one aromatic blend so far, Lane 1Q. It was the only thing I smoked for the first four or five weeks. I haven't touched it since.

Burley is my new friend. Most often smoked. I've enjoyed a burley blend from my local B&M, and am really happy with Sutliff Medium Burley. Mild enough to smoke plenty of when I have a day, and tasty as well. HH Burley Flake is also in my regular rotation. I smoke it rubbed out most times, but will fold and stuff every so often. So many relights, one right arm. I really like this tobacco.

I have bought and tried Virginia flakes and a couple of VaPers'. The straight virginia is in a jar awaiting palate evolution or anaerobic/aerobic aging miracles. I can still enjoy the odd bowl of 3 Nuns though I'm not as excited about it as I initially was.

I do like what I've tried in the English/Orientals wheelhouse. Chelsea Mornings I reach for most regularly, however the Crumble Kake English #1, and PS.Proper English are also go to's.

I find it an intriguing and appealing journey so far. Met good people online and IRL. Enjoying tobacco now, not merely feeding an addiction.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I really like cobs and burley too. Carter Hall and it's more upscale (but less expensive) match, Chatham Manor, are a must-try for any cob and burley fan, IMO. If and when you get around to exploring some more blends, it would be worthwhile to put those two on your radar.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I really like cobs and burley too. Carter Hall and it's more upscale (but less expensive) match, Chatham Manor, are a must-try for any cob and burley fan, IMO. If and when you get around to exploring some more blends, it would be worthwhile to put those two on your radar.
I will try those at some point soon. As far as the pipes go, I've yet to notice any advantages of briar over cobs. I am not yet at the stage of getting a better experience from briars and so, given the price differential, I'm not really vulnerable to PAD. Having said that, I'm picking up cobs in a variety of shapes and styles.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
first cob advantage you can chuck it into a lake or other such place and not cry about it. That's a pretty big plus. Some blends taste different in a cob then in a briar. Cob tend to smoke cooler. I swear that cobs impart a subtle cornish sweetness to some tobaccos, I say that's one of the reasons they go so good with both burly and aromatics. They don't ghost much and require less dry time between uses. They also make you look a bit like Pop-eye which can help you avoid or get into fights (whatever your preference).

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
sounds like you’re well on your way in this hobby.

Since you like burley, I’ll throw in a recommendation for Peter Stokkebye Burley 702. It’s a straight burley, cavendish cut, with just a tiny touch of smoky dark fired Kentucky. It’s cheap, easily available, and a great simple smoke on its own and a fantastic blender. I love it mixed with a pinch of whatever sweet aromatic I have lying around.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA

Since you like burley, I’ll throw in a recommendation for Peter Stokkebye Burley 702. It’s a straight burley, cavendish cut, with just a tiny touch of smoky dark fired Kentucky. It’s cheap, easily available, and a great simple smoke on its own and a fantastic blender. I love it mixed with a pinch of whatever sweet aromatic I have lying around.
Noted. Thanks.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN

I’m going to add some PS 702 to my shopping cart based on this recommendation alone. I like the PS 312, and from your description of 702 it sounds like it’s in my wheelhouse.

Thank you!

Reactions: krizzose and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Uncle', I share your appreciation of burley. I like many other non-burley blends too, but a burley based blend or a blend with burley as a condiment often clicks with me. We're lucky to have come along when C&D and some others (Nat Sherman, etc.) revived burley from strictly a codger leaf to a premium tobacco. Ah!

Status
Not open for further replies.