Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
So, I decided to give pipe smoking a try. Like many, I was a cigar smoker that was seduced by the smells of pipe tobacco and thought I would try my hand at it. I didn't know quite where to begin so I ordered the collegiate starter kit from smokingpipes.com. I was impressed with the value of the kit. It was only around 30 dollars and came with everything you need to jump right in. However, I smoked the pipe just twice and noticed two large cracks already forming on the bowl just along the stem. Mind you, I wasn't expecting the Cadillac of pipes for the price but I did hope it would last long enough to be part of a rotation. I cleaned the pipe after each use with pipe cleaners dipped in grain alcohol to remove the excess at and residue. I also polished the bowl with a dab of olive oil as a protective coating.
Was this type of cleaning too harsh after each smoke? I let the pipe rest before cleaning and waited 1 week in between smokes. Am I at fault or is this just the downside to the drugstore wholesale pipe? The brand was Lucienne if that makes a difference.
Also, where could I get a pipe online that is a sturdy beginner piece? I'm not ready to shell out a couple hundred on any one pipe just yet. Smokingpipes.com offers a wide selection but not so much within the 50 dollar and below price tags. I don't have a tobacconist near where I live so unfortunately buying one in person is not an option.
Sorry for the long winded soap boxy speech. I'm just a bit heated because I enjoyed the two smokes I did have very much.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
Hey madman, welcome aboard. I agree with what mike says. SP is great to deal with and they should fix ya up. I myself picked up one of those collegiate kits before Christmas and it is a great buy. The pipe I got was a Newlook and its a pretty decent little smoker. Good luck to ya!

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Another vote for the cobs! Don't let the image fool you, they are workhorses. Also, if you have a shop local-ish that does estate pipes, go and ask to be led around. You can get entry level prices on good pieces that way.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome!
Rothnh gave good advice re the alcohol, but I'll encourage you to not use olive oil on the outside. In time any vegetable-based oil is likely to turn rancid. The best bet for the outside of the bowl -- and I'd use it only rarely -- is carnauba wax.
Bob

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Hello Madman and welcome to the forum. While you are on the smokingpipes website, checkout the Baronet line of Savinelli. Baronet's are priced around the $50 mark, are a quality pipe and are very forgiving. While I am all for cobs, if it is briar your after, the Baronet line might be one of your best options at that price point. I own more than a few from the baronet line, and although I own higher end pipes, the baronet's are my daily go-to smokers. I wish you luck in your smoking journey and again welcome to the forum.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, the cleaning was too much! I never do that. Ever. Just get yourself several inexpensive pipes that appeal to you and rotate them giving them a days rest after smoking a couple of bowls each. Also, consider smoking appealing tobacco's but dedicating them to specific pipes. I assure you that this method will work. Clean your pipe with a dull pipe knife after every smoke and use a pipe cleaner. Remove the pipe cleaner after using, to allow the pipe to dry overnight (at least overnight). PM me if youy have specific questions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Alcohol can dry out the briar
Huh? Since when is a dry pipe a bad thing? Can you elaborate on that?
I do a quick alcohol cleaning after every smoke. First I run a dry pipe cleaner through the pipe after I'm done with a bowl. Then I dip anywhere from half to a full inch of the pipe cleaner in alcohol and run it through the stem into the shank of the pipe. After that I run another dry pipe cleaner through to soak up any excess moisture again, and bend it in half and swab the inside of the bowl to knock loose any bits that shouldn't be in there.
Granted I've only been smoking a pipe for about 2 years, but I haven't seen any damage to any of my pipes cleaning this way.
Briar pipes are tough. As long as you don't get any alcohol on the surface of the pipe I think you'll be fine as soon as you replace your pipe.
Good luck!

madman

Lurker
Mar 17, 2013
Thanks for all the helpful hints and constructive criticisms. As suggested, I contacted smokingpipes.com and they were more than happy to replace the defective pipe. I will be looking to add a cob and some other less expensive pipes to the rotation. I am starting to get a feel for tobacco types I like and look forward to being able to dedicate specific pipes to each.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I use Jack Daniels to clean my pipe but only a little. Also IMO if you are are going to make a serious run at smoking a pipe I suggest buying a quality Estate Pipe for $100-$150. I was amazed at the difference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smokingpipes.com does have some good pipes at the low end, notably Tsuges and some of the

unfiltered Savinellis. Iwan Ries, iwanries.com, has their own brand, which are Bentons and

Savinelli manufactured, under Iwan Ries Exclusives in the $36 -$55 range, and these are good

pipes, because they want to encourage new pipe smokers and others, and want them back as

pipe and tobacco customers (I surmise). Peterson used to have some pipes in the $55 range,

but I haven't seen these lately -- they may be back. If you have an independent or chain pipe

retailer, they may have basket pipes. The staff might be able to guide you to the better versions

of these. You don't want a cheap plastic stem that will chew through quickly, nor a bowl drilled

off center. But a good "basket pipe" (inexexpensive pipe sold from a basket in the shop rather

than from the wall or counter display) can live forever (and ever).

Aug 14, 2012
I would consider a Savinelli in the $65 price range, or a Tsuge metal rimmed pipe from Iwan Ries for about $100. And you should get a cob.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
+1 to foggy,
Cobs are cheap and give good smokes. I just bought my first Sav for around $90 so I'm interested to see how it smokes.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My advice is always the same: for under $100 you can get a clean estate pipe from a specialty vendor (not eBay) that will already be broken in give you a much better smoking experience. You'll also get twice or thrice the pipe for the money. Check out Briar Blues or Pulver's Briar. Also our sponsor vendors have estate pipe sections, though not much selection in the under $100 range.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Welcome aboard and glad to hear that Smokingpipes are making things right by you.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I agree to call SmokingPipes and see if they'll exchange your pipe. I also agree that a corn cob is a good way to go as well. I'd also like to recommend a Savinelli pipe. There are many in the $50-$80 range that will durable and great smoking pipe.
As for alcohol cleaning, IMO its not necessary. A good cleaning with a dry pipe cleaner is all that's necessary. I only use alcohol when cleaning estate pipes or when a pipe gets ghosted.

Status
Not open for further replies.