PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordofstuff12

Lurker
Nov 2, 2009
Hello Everyone!
This is my first post here on Pipes magazine, I've been messing around with corn cobs now and again but am pretty new to this. I have a question for you guys.
Recently I purchased a Willard estate pipe pretty cheap on E-bay, now I've heard Willard aren't anything special, but It's my first Briar and still would like some do it yourself advise. So here is the deal, the pipe has a flattened stem, not run over my a truck flattened, but I can't get a pipe cleaner down the stem. This is especially important since the pipe has some odd sort of odd screw on stem, with metal threading. This makes it impossible to clean.
So here's what I know so far: A pipe stem can be bent by heating it up, I've heard you can apply heat direct, or place it in table salt in the oven at 275 or so. I am thinking of using pliers to squeeze it into proper configuration, possible using a small metal file to insert into the stem, in order to wiggle it into shape and ensure the pliers don't cause it to collapse. So how does this sound? Please leave comments, I'd like to return it to working order, and have something to smoke other than my corn cob. Thanks for reading.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Williards were a cheap line of pipes made by the Dr. Grabow folks and most used stems made of ABS plastic which did not hold up well.Don't use the pliers on it,will probably just cause more damage. Many times with these old estate pipes, the stem is just full of gunk from not being properly cleaned. Take a small stiff wire( I straighten a paper clip) and try to push that through. If you can get the wire through it you should be able to start working an alcohol( I use 91% isopropyl alcohol) soaked pipe cleaner through it. May take a while/

If the slot is flattened, heat the stem in some boiling water or the salt you mentioned and take a thin-narrow bladed screw driver and push gently into the slot to open it up.

That stinger may pull out-some do. If not you can cut it off with a hacksaw just above the threads. A lot of guys do that. Can't say that the stinger serves much purpose anyway.Removing the stinger will make it much easier to clean although they can be cleaned with it in place,just have to wiggle the pipe cleaner around a bit.Hope this helps,Ed.

lordofstuff12

Lurker
Nov 2, 2009
Thanks for the advice so far so good. I've managed to widen the hole a bit, and cleared out all the gunk. Thanks again. Now I have to ream out the bowl and leech it.
@Kevin I would post pictures but am at a lose for a quality digital camera.

dgifford

Lurker
Oct 7, 2009
Conifer, CO
I prefer the boiling water for the abs stems especially the willards. I have several of those that I inherited when my grandfather passed. The primary market for willards in their "heyday" was the military Post-Exchanges. none of mine are remotely pretty, and they are "okay" smokers. That said, considering the source, they are priceless to me and are in my regular rotation. I am a huge fan of the utility pedestrian pipes, and in my eyes, they are an artform to themselves.
congrats on your willard, you have a fine piece of history that will serve you for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.