PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrags

Lurker
Feb 15, 2013
Just received my first pipe so I'm pretty excited. I ordered it online and received some filters with it as well. The filter fits easily in to the bowl end but is too large to fit in to the stem side. The filter is a 9mm and it is the same size as the part that screws in to the end of the bowl. Is there some way to make these fit or did I receive the wrong size filter and should grab some 6mm ones? Thanks for any help you can give.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Not all pipes are designed to accept a filter; but as a general rule of thumb, most North American pipes will accept a 6mm paper filter (or the Savinelli balsa filter), while the European mfgs. seem to prefer the 6mm. There are a few others, such as the afore mentioned Savinelli system and the Brigham rock-maple tubes, but they are limited to a handful of brands.

With that in mind (pics would help immensely) if I'm reading your post right, it sounds like the pipe in question was actually fitted with a 'stinger' as opposed to a filter. If this is the case, simply clean said stinger after each smoke, or do away with it entirely.

djrags

Lurker
Feb 15, 2013
Thank you. Noticed that you said that both European and American pipe makers prefer the 6mm filter. Did you mistype and mean that one prefers the 9mm? Also, here are pictures of the pipe. Is the metal bit in the first picture the thing you called a stinger?
IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

djrags

Lurker
Feb 15, 2013
Haha thank you for pointing out that the stem was upside down. My more knowledgeable friends would have mocked me quite handily when we smoke tonight. I will get rid of the stinger. Any reason for not putting in a filter? Taste? Damage to pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.