Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 3, 2024
Knoxville, TN
Just wanted to drop in and say Hi! I’ve just started pipe smoking about 3 ish weeks ago!

A lot of you have already been helpful with my first post on the repair thread.

Thank you!

Pipe collecting is addicting I’m finding.

I’ve got a Savenelli churchwarden 601, a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original (the one I stressed out about) and I just ordered an amazing looking LoTR inspired church warden made from pear wood from Ukraine.

I will say, that the breathing method / bellows method is a game changer. Especially for someone who tends to smoke too fast and too hot. Learning to slow down has been rough. But, I didn’t know it wasn’t good to smoke to
The bottom of the bowl?

Kinda confused on what to do there. Seems like you’d get a lot of doddle you’d end up with

Have a great day!

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just wanted to drop in and say Hi! I’ve just started pipe smoking about 3 ish weeks ago!

A lot of you have already been helpful with my first post on the repair thread.

Thank you!

Pipe collecting is addicting I’m finding.

I’ve got a Savenelli churchwarden 601, a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original (the one I stressed out about) and I just ordered an amazing looking LoTR inspired church warden made from pear wood from Ukraine.

I will say, that the breathing method / bellows method is a game changer. Especially for someone who tends to smoke too fast and too hot. Learning to slow down has been rough. But, I didn’t know it wasn’t good to smoke to
The bottom of the bowl?

Kinda confused on what to do there. Seems like you’d get a lot of doddle you’d end up with

Have a great day!
Smoking to the bottom is just fine, and often a good thing. But if forced, all sorts of problems crop up, some serious to the pipe itself.

Dottle is the unsmoked bits left when done, and some is fine. Or just ash is fine with care.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Also, please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc.
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Jul 3, 2024
Knoxville, TN
Also, please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc.
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.
Thank you I will!