PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect that the best information on these questions is gained through trial and error by individual pipe smokers to attain their own taste and satisfaction in these matters. I tend not to designate pipes, which with many pipes seems to work out fine for me. I don't smoke Lakeland aromatics with the strong rose-geranium scent, for which I would designate a cob. I also find that broad bowls do better with blends with lots of different tobaccos. As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, that allows more constituent tobaccos to burn at once. As to whether different size and/or shape bowls (cylindrical versus conical chambers etc.) do better with different genres, I think you have to decide for yourself and your own tastes.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Hello again, Goggy!
Yes. I told you so...

Get ready, you’re about to embark on a looong Journey!

Enjoy and give everything a fair chance. You’ll eventually find what you like and it’ll narrow down for you.

Reactions: Goggy302

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
I Will dedicate a few pipes when they finally arrive. One for aromatic and one for non aromatics. I don't think all dedicate any for blends unless it is unbearably noticeable in the pipe. Being a new piper I doubt ill notice until it's been "ghosted".

Reactions: Goggy302

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I prefer smaller bowl ID for Virginia's and flakes in general. .75 - .80. While I don't smoke many English blends, a larger bowl ID seems to work well with more complex blends.

I definitely dedicate pipes to a genre.

It's your pipe, you can do what you wish. However, Virginia's are a more delicate blend, I can easily detect a Latakia ghost if I smoke a Virginia in a pipe that has smoked Latakia blends. I don't find that to be a good thing. YMMV

I agree.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
You might even find that you like to use a pipe with two tobaccos you never intended to use in the same pipe. That is why I say, when starting out, just experiment. I never assigned pipes to tobaccos. I just grabbed the next pipe in rotation, and tried whatever blend I was in the mood for. After a while, you will figure out what you like. It's not supposed to be stressful. Clean the pipes with Vodka, or your favorite spirit, and start over. Rules be damned!