PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Hello all,
I am a 40-something new pipe smoker living in northern VA. In the past I had been an occasional cigarette smoker and cigar smoker. I still like a good stogie once in a while, but I'm done with the nasty cigarettes. Tobacco pipes are something I have been curious about for some time, and I recently decided to dive in after coming across a great tobacco shop while in Gatlinburg, TN. My dad used to smoke a pipe when I was a kid so I suppose it was only a matter of time until I found the interest. Just two months in and very green, I am anxious to learn and grow my pipe/tobacco knowledge, vernacular, and palette. As such, I have many questions. But I will save those for another thread. Cheers!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Nice. Glad to see that it seems like we're getting more newbs here. I take it as a sign that there are even more people picking up the pipe out in the larger world. It's not that hard to smoke a pipe but it is tricky. You can get the basics pretty quickly but it takes a while before you can do it without much thought and where you don't run into little issues hardly ever. Issues like tongue bite or packing too tight or too loose (pro tip too loose is easier to fix then too tight).
Side note one of the things I find interesting about the new smokers is many of them are older (as in not college age) which is very rare with cigs or dip. I think it says a lot about the benefit to risk as well as what motivates someone to pick up a pipe in the first place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina. My dad was an ardent pipe smoker for many years, and when I picked up a pipe in my mid-thirties, I was surprised at how much of his pipe smoking technique had imprinted on me, so you may have the same experience.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Welcome from central North Carolina. My dad was an ardent pipe smoker for many years, and when I picked up a pipe in my mid-thirties, I was surprised at how much of his pipe smoking technique had imprinted on me, so you may have the same experience.
I actually don't recall much of my dad's routines, etc. He stopped smoking when his doctor insisted about 20 years ago. What I've learned from him has come from recent conversations since I picked up the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.