PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Welcome from Norwich. Plenty of advice here on the forum for someone getting started!

The secret though is just to practice, then you learn what works for you. And don't trust everything you watch on YouTube (or indeed everything you read on the forum!).

RandyMcgrabb

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Cornwall, UK
Welcome from Durham in the UK. If you want flavour aromatics are not the way to go!
Yeah, I'm going to try some samples of other types to see the difference.
Welcome from Norwich. Plenty of advice here on the forum for someone getting started!

The secret though is just to practice, then you learn what works for you. And don't trust everything you watch on YouTube (or indeed everything you read on the forum!).
Thank you for the advice. I watched the videos primarily to get acquainted with the process, the types of pipes, tobaccos, cleaning, maintenance, etc. The fun part starts now :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You anywhere near Bodmin? Good friends live near there. And not far from the late Ken Barnes.

You mentioned bowling. I bowl when I can't play golf. We just put in an artificial rink/pitch.

Reactions: RandyMcgrabb

RandyMcgrabb

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Cornwall, UK
You anywhere near Bodmin? Good friends live near there. And not far from the late Ken Barnes.

You mentioned bowling. I bowl when I can't play golf. We just put in an artificial rink/pitch.
I'm in a small town called Saltash, on the border of Cornwall and Devon. Bodmin is just a few miles down the road from me. I like watching Bowling very calming.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Greetings from the UK,

I'm a newbie to the world of Pipes and smoking in general, this is my second week. My itch for piping came from watching lots of YouTube videos and thinking why the hell not. I'm more aligned to flavour so I chose aromatic as my tobacco preference.

My first pipe came from Amazon, a cheap Chinese pipe and kit, a bad choice. But learning from that experience I got several pipes to see which one would be suitable for me. So I have now a clay pipe, corncobs, Erikson Keystone, and arriving very soon a meer and falcon with a meer lined bowl.

I'm probably going to settle for the meers to get me started.
Cheers
RM
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Reactions: RandyMcgrabb