PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The technical things I look for in a pipe now are:
1. Draft hole placement - make sure the hole is centered coming into the bowl and that it isn't coming through the chamber (bowl) wall ABOVE the bottom of the bowl. I have a few pipes like this and you can't smoke your tobacco to the bottom.
2. The tenon and shank (I don't have a diagram of a pipe to help here. Sorry. You'll have to find one somewhere on this site) are snug but don't require excessive force to get the two apart or back together.
3. The pipe cleaner test - put a pipe cleaner through the air-hole in the stem and make sure it goes all the way to the bowl (a small amount of fiddling to get it there is OK. If you really have to play with it to get it there, move on to a different pipe). NOTE: if the pipe uses filters of any kind this may not be possible, but then, it shouldn't matter as much since this usually is to get rid of excess moisture. (Hope that makes sense)
4. Probably the MOST important- You LIKE if not LOVE the way the pipe looks and feels. If you don't you won't smoke it.
Addendum: these aren't hard and fast rules, but they should help steer you to a better constructed pipe.
-Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Lawrence hasn't posted this yet so I'll do it.
can_of_worms_ahead.jpg

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks folks.
Any more info on Capri pipes by Brigham? Any thoughts on Brigham in general? The local shop has a bunch of those.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My brother started with a cob and some Dunhill Nightcap and he was happy.
I started with an estate briar and some Captain Black White and I'm happy.
The point is do what makes you happy.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Bringham pipes are good to go.
Find one that visually appeals to you, see how it feels in your hand, check its drilling, and buy it. 8)

Jul 15, 2011
pipesandcigars.com sells a line called Baccara. They are beautiful pipes with nice big tobacco chambers and are usually less than $30. The only thing that you have to be careful with in these pipes is that they will gurgle from time to time, so keep a couple of extra pipe cleaners handy.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
welcome to the site jaybird. i'd go with a cob and some nasty homegrown, but then i am a southern hemisphere heathen! :nana: i'd go with a sampler from pipesandcigars and a pipe that fits nice in your hand, if you like the experiance then theres plenty of time and oppurtunity to spend your hard earned cash later

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Brigham Pipes are excellent quality at great prices. You get a lot of value with a Brigham pipe.
There's nothing wrong with Prince Albert or Carter Hall either. I think of them like the Budweiser of pipe tobacco.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread but I do feel strongly about starting out new smokers with good quality materials rather than going cheap.
I love the dinner roll analogy, Cyndi.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'm trying to remember who it was, but there was a member who bought Brigham almost exclusively and was from Canada. From him and a few others, they are great pipes for the money.
In this hobby, you're gonna get opinions on just about anything, like you've already seen, especially how to get started. You'll find all of us to be passionate about pipe smoking. Another option is if you can find a local shop, (what we call a B&M, or brick & mortar) the folks can definitely help make sure you're making a good purchase and possibly set you up with some samples of their blends. Starting out myself, I went cheap to see if I liked it. Afterwards, I started researching sites and forums and testing the waters with different pipes and tobaccos, and of course, I'm still learning.
Most important is to just dive in and have fun. As you go along, you'll learn about the different types of tobaccos and pipes out there. I think there are some online retailers in the US that know a little about how to work around customs, etc. Also, I think there are laws set up in Canada that allow you to get so much tobacco through before they start highly taxing you. Might be something to check out.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
A friend is sending me a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe. I guess that's the first one I'll try. A lot of folks have said this was where I should start but I couldn't find a Missouri Meerschaum around my area.
Thanks folks.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
A friend is sending me a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe. I guess that's the first one I'll try. A lot of folks have said this was where I should start but I couldn't find a Missouri Meerschaum around my area.

I have 3 cobs now and I love em'!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Gifts sets are cool, because you typically get everything you need to start. However...
1. Make sure the pipe you purchase isn't too small. For example, a Grabow "Lark" or "Savoy" are too small for general use. They are good for certain blends (for example those high in Nicotine, where you want a smaller bowl, possibly) or for short smokes. But, if you were going with a Grabow, a Duke might be a good place to start. Not saying go with a Grabow, only most everyone knows what size a Duke is, and you can even compare that size by description with an online retailer via phone or email.
2. Whatever tobacco you get in a gift set is hit and miss. The least expensive sets are going to get you a Middleton product and/or Borkhum Riff. Tobacco tastes run full spectrum per individual, but you might try some stand-bys that are easy smoking. Lane 1Q, is the typical example. Cheap, easy smoking, easily found.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Jaybird,

SmokingPipes.com just posted a nice looking no-name estate bulldog for $30.00

Looks like it might be a nice smoker for the beginner.

004-006-5311.jpg

(It wouldn't surprise me if this was a Savinelli second. Similar to their shape #623.)

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Prince Albert, and a corn cob was all it took to win my heart. That initial experience was enough to turn me into a piperosexual. I am now intimate with many pipes and many different tobaccos. I will never forget my fist time, and I'll never go back to my former ways:)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Piperosexual"... huh... yeah that's... nice?... so I'm just going to stand over THERE.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
"Piperosexual"... huh... yeah that's... nice?... so I'm just going to stand over THERE.
Thanks.... I'll let you know if I need any help slay'n the big one, although I have never required assistance laying down pipe yet. On occasion I do share, but that means I bring an extra pipe to the party. If I show up with two you are more than welcome to partake in the one I am less enthusiastic about, and I get to refer to you as "fullback".
Small piece of advice: If you turn off the lights yours will probably smoke about as good as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.