Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

drjohn

Lurker
Feb 3, 2013
There's an old saying "United we Stand, Divided we fall". New Zealand Briar Smokers are faced with the challenge of there being only a few of us spread out over a Great Distance. This can make the sharing of information rather hard.
There's definitely issues that need to be dealt with such as the cost of buying tobacco and also legislation. We also need a social and support network for our fellow briar smokers. It would be interesting for fellow pipe smokers living in NZ, to join together as it would help with the spread of information.
As a group we might be able to achieve better outcomes for our members then if we were to do things individually.
I would be interested in hearing from fellow Brothers and sisters of the Briar in New Zealand who are interested in forming a Lodge of Pipe Smokers.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
I just was in NZ over Christmas. Beautiful country. I didn't see many smoke shops. But I hear that the smoking regulations that you have are similar to those in Australia and they were horrible.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You should be able to see a navigation bar at the top of this page that includes a "Members" option.

Click on it and enter "new zealand" in the Find Members box, and you should come up with eight members.

lea27

Lurker
Feb 23, 2013
Hi there.

Im in Christchurch New Zealand, and getting mu first pipe very soon.

Ive been hunting for ages for a place to purchase pipe tobacco and am comming up disapionted and empty.

Im a young new mother who had to give up smoking whilst pregnant, but always enjoyed it. So now would like very much to start pipe smoking as a much needed relaxation and hobby.

Please any info on where i can buy supplies and tobacco from, would be hugely appreciated.

i have no idea about ordering from overseas, and just dont have the time (with a baby) to fuss around with customs.

thank you all

Leanne

allenz

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
Hello all

I also live in New Zealand and have only just started smoking a pipe.

I'm from Hamilton by the way but I spent quite a bit of time in Auckland during the week.

I have looked into oversea order but it seems like the NZ custom could charge terrible duties and taxes for any small amount of tobacco shipped - over NZ$600 per kg I believe.

Pipe tobaccos are rare to find locally and cost about 15 times the price it is in the US.

allenz

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
Thanks rothnh,

One other thing, do the forum PM and the message in the profile page do the same? If not then which would be the better way to go?

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Lol hi guys I think this is an awesome idea and u cant count me in and as a standing offer to any kiwis or anyone at all really if my very very limited experiance can help or even if anyone just wants to try a couple tobaccoes before ordering pls ask I am happy to send whatever blends I happen to have and I have just had a few shipments come in and more on the way.haha are their really only 8 kiwis on the forums ?

Reactions: edger

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Actually what would be really awesome is if a tobacco company or similar wanted to sponsor or "promote" in nz.... would go down really well in a "virgin" market

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
I just spent my honeymoon in Queenstown, Christchurch and Sydney. I wish I could move from USA to New Zealand. The best place I have ever been too. Unfortunately, finding a job in my profession might be a challenge so I will keep on visiting NZ as often as possible.

darryl

Lurker
May 24, 2012
I am glad to see that there are other Kiwis here.
I only smoke one or two pipes a week. Mainly because of the price. Fifty grams of Erinmore costs around $60 for 50 grams. Other brands can cost around $80-$90, and the selection we have is extremely limited. Very few shops sell pipe tobacco, and most of those that do only stock Erinmore and Borkum Riff.
Larger cities have some tobacconists with larger product ranges that would typically include some Peterson, Ashton and Davidoff tobaccos, but gone are the days of tobacconists like Priddle Brothers in Wellington that stocked literally hundreds of blends.

Reactions: briarbuck

percyprune

Lurker
Jun 4, 2013
Hi Kiwi pipe smokers! (and everyone else)
Recently started growing my own tobacco and finding it not really suitable for rolling, purchased a pipe and am a new convert. (ridiculous NZ prices led to DIY)

The stuff I've grown is very strong - it was air cured then lightly toasted, but as it was the first pipe tobacco I'd had, I like it :) It just tastes like tobacco, a bit 'cigar-ish' maybe.

I plan to press and steam the next lot, keeping it natural without adding any casing flavours.

Haven't got enough to really share around or swap etc - yet, but if there was a gathering I'd bring some for people to give their opinion.

So yeah, hello! I'm in Auckland by the way.

Apr 10, 2015
hey guys...

Im tim from new zealand being smoking a pipe for around about 10 years 5 years on and off and

5 years full time ! Tobbaco purchasing is a bitch but theres ways around it !!! anyone in the auckland area?

wb111piper

Lurker
Sep 5, 2015
G'day Gents, I'm in Auckland to, and a keen newbie to the pipe world, love my cigars and pipes but have lately enjoyed my pipe a lot more, who is in Auckland that can show a newbie the ropes? Tim mate would appreciate it if you could show me some ways around the general over the counter Borkum Riff and Erinmore. Looking forward in hearing from anyone.

Reactions: edger and briarbuck

kiwiazz74

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
Gday guys i see this is an old thread but if any of you are still here i'd like to catch up.

I'm in westport but originally from christchurch i started smoking a pipe this year full time but tried it in my early teens.

I can't afford to buy shop tobacco so i import legally and duty free whole leaf, costs me $72nz a pound delivered in 8-9 days.

i have a couple of crappy chinese pipes i started with but im waiting on a stonehaven lovat from bpk pipes in czech replublic.

i have an ALCO from falcon in restoration atm and i keep an eye on trade me for estate pipes when they come up

i really want to make my own pipes and learn the pipe trade so ive stated buying tools to do so, i have just gotten a lathe in need of some more things to get it going over the next few months.

hope to meet some fellow kiwis in here.

cheers

Reactions: edger and briarbuck

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Hi Kiwiazz74,

You should contact this guy. Saw his website a few weeks ago. Says his business and website are for sale. Nelson’s not to far away.
http://www.zemanpipes.com/
As for me I’m in the north Is.

kiwiazz74

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
hey charf

i emailed jan zeeman a while ago but diddn't get a reply so im thinking hes right out of the pipe scene which would be a shame.

where are you getting your tobacco from? are you importing or buying local?

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Hi guys, Im currently in chch but will soon be based in Dunedin. I also import tobacco leaf to make up my own blends, I think Im getting the hang of it now and starting to get some good results.
kiwiazz - I occasionally get over to the Coast but usually hang out around Greymouth, unles we head up to Charleston for a bit of climbing or bush walking.