PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Bought a raclette set (table grill, hot stone) and 4lbs of cheese!
We bought a raclette years ago after a trip to Switzerland. What kind of cheese do you melt? We use your basic Mexican melting cheese (Queso Chihuahua).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Queso Chihuahua
1288deb923a7c06b49c6d179a283dd52.jpg

I am doing some quite out of character this year. At the insistence of wife and friends, we got tickets for an evening party with dinner, drinks, belly dancing and what’s not. Even there is separate babysitting area with a kids party.
I normally don’t enjoy these kind of events. I much prefer a quieter evening with just family, and sometimes friends. Even my 5 yo would be very uncomfortable, with an unknown babysitter managing 40-50 kids. Let’s see how it goes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and python

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Watching the Ball Drop at Times Square happens at nine P.M. At my location. Now I am wondering, is there something televised from Bermuda?

Pretty right on, Tom.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I've never done much of anything on New Year's Eve. My wife and I will usually try to stay up until midnight, but also usually don't make it. Kids always want to stay up. The family tradition is to hang out, drink some champagne, and watch the Twilight Zone all evening. This year is a bit different. Son is back at graduate school doing research; wife and daughter are in Japan (where it is already 2020). In fact, as I write they are going to the local Shinto shrine to ring in the New Year. So I will have a quiet evening, smoking pipes, drinking scotch, and watching the Twilight Zone.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I am spending the evening with my family sitting outside under the patio, smoking a pipe, eating snacks and listening to music. I just had a two hour smoke of Red and Black, it just kept on going and going, it was epic.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
After getting divorced I would hit the hay early and go duck hunting New Years morning. Had eyelid surgery yesterday so that's out. When I was young I did the Times Square thing once. You're packed in so tightly you have no control over your body. Now I understand how people get injured or killed in large mobs like that. It was more scary than exciting, not to mention all the goons going after my wallet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Happy New Year, and to each his own way. I'm borrowing from Sir Thomas More who said, refusing the pledge to the new Anglican church (I think it was...), "Each to the devil his own way." But have a happy time, relaxed and cheerful, and looking forward to the best in 2020.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let me be first to use the word play pun, and hope a better 20:20 vision for us all! Happy New Year.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm in my 30s but won't be doing much. Will probably try to hustle some money driving early in the evening. Nothing after that. NYE has become a strange holiday since I got sober. I don't feel like going out much, but I still feel that pressure to do sonething. Oh well... I used to volunteer to watch dogs and keep them freaking out from the fireworks and/or gunshots, but no dogs for me to watch anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
danimalia, congratulations on getting and staying sober. New Years Eve does involve a lot of coercion to drink, when you shouldn't, or when you prefer not to. Sad that shoving drinks at people is thought of as a necessary part of it all. Nothing wrong with something for those who can do it. But someone pointed out they stay home just to avoid the dangerous driving by people who shouldn't be driving. Have a great 2020.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
I'm another who has always stayed home to avoid the drunks on the road. I've also never really seen the allure of parties. I see them as an uncomfortable waste of time. But I'm also an introvert, so alone never equates with lonely for me and quiet generally means having the best of times... Best wishes for everyone in 2020.

Reactions: renfield

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I partied my ass off in high school and early on in college. Once I turned 21, I sort of lost the urge to get shit faced. Haven’t been drunk since my bachelor party in 1998! I still drink, but it’s for pleasure and taste, not to get plowed. Tonight, the wife and I will watch a movie or two and treat it like any other night, we are boring AF and we are quite happy that way. Cheers to all of you and your families and please stay safe tonight. ???

Reactions: renfield
Status
Not open for further replies.