PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hello everyone. I managed to cross one off the bucket list at the Chicago Show last weekend when I stumbled across a gentlemen named Craig at the Swap Tent on Friday who had a few unsmoked Will Purdy Pipes. This one immediately called to me, and the price was right, so there you have it.

The smoking properties are FANTASTIC, which I had heard about Purdy pipes. VERY dry.

Question for everyone: on this forum I read someone’s comment that Will always drilled his stems and shanks at the same time for the best air-flow internals possible. This would account for some of the dry-smoking properties for sure. Can anyone here verify if this is actually true?

I have heard that Will has retired and keeps his distance from the pipe-smoking community now. Bummer. I wish I could meet him and thank him for making this pipe.
9BB93F0E-04F5-4E55-9C32-56EAA8BFF990.jpeg
F31D98D8-1B58-4049-A84E-ED3937997B6C.jpeg
7FA45830-04A8-4C8A-A58A-3DC55E6245DA.jpegE6F64748-EDC4-44A3-BA37-67409B6D2C38.jpeg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hello everyone. I managed to cross one off the bucket list at the Chicago Show last weekend when I stumbled across a gentlemen named Craig at the Swap Tent on Friday who had a few unsmoked Will Purdy Pipes. This one immediately called to me, and the price was right, so there you have it.

The smoking properties are FANTASTIC, which I had heard about Purdy pipes. VERY dry.

Question for everyone: on this forum I read someone’s comment that Will always drilled his stems and shanks at the same time for the best air-flow internals possible. This would account for some of the dry-smoking properties for sure. Can anyone here verify if this is actually true?

I have heard that Will has retired and keeps his distance from the pipe-smoking community now. Bummer. I wish I could meet him and thank him for making this pipe.
View attachment 219605
View attachment 219606
View attachment 219607View attachment 219608
It was me who wrote about the drilling.
What year was this beauty carved and what grade stamp is on the shank ?

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
It was me who wrote about the drilling.
What year was this beauty carved and what grade stamp is on the shank ?
Hello Orlando
Did you ask Will this yourself, about the drilling? I read his Pipes and Tobacco’s interview and one other one and could not find this info.
From where did you get this info?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hello Mattia,
Not from mr. purdy himself. A forum member did, but I do not recall who.
I'm not a pipe maker and I get lost in translation here, but removing the stem shows an entirerely different
face of the shank and tenon than usual. Not really sure if this shows prove of "drilling in one shot"
but my notion tells me it does.
Maybe someone can chime in and explain in proper English ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's lovely shaping in design, and I have seldom seen a stain and stem color so elegantly matched (other than all-black pipes). That is a prize indeed. I hope you have many decades of smoking pleasure with that. It really is quite a looker.