PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Check that out, "Sale Only Allowed In The United States". Got the exact same bag of tobacco last week sans the label.
20180713_133700.jpg

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
They ought to replace the warning label with something more appropriate like " Warning: The State of California has determined that EVERYTHING causes cancer"

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Okay, well we know that tobacco is not the healthiest thing in the world to begin with, but honestly, if you buy a bulk bag of RC-1, do you not already know that? What's the use in the labels on all these things being so large and in your face. You think a pipe smoker hasn't seen these labels like well over a thousand times? New smokers even know, the rate at which they beat their drum that tobacco isn't good for you. I mean by now, who doesn't know? Sorry, but this label ain't making me want it any less, they're just ruining the tin art, if you're in to that sort of thing, and I kind of like how some of the labels look. Sort of like saving a nice liquor bottle for display purposes. At the going rate, companies might as well do away with the tin art, and just go ahead and plaster the front of the tins with this massive, stinking warning label.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The only allowed in the United States is what really got me. Are tobaccos now segregated to countries, or is this a US thing only?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I find this warning very informative. A bag of tobacco contains a product that might expose me to tobacco smoke. Who'd a thunk it?
That only in the USA thing is part of the Tobacco Control Act.
"Beginning 1 year after the date of enactment of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, the label, packaging, and shipping containers of tobacco products other than cigarettes for introduction or delivery for introduction into interstate commerce in the United States shall bear the statement 'sale only allowed in the United States'."​
Section 301 of the Tobacco Control Act

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Noticed that "geographical restriction" in some tins, which makes me laugh because I'm in Canada.
Now, if we're gonna get governmental prissy, the sale was done by a retailer in the US. :nana:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
All new MacBaren tins are full of warning labels. I believe all tins will eventually require warning labels in the US - if I am not mistaken, the implementation of this was postponed. I believe MacBaren and Sutliff have been making efforts to comply before it is strictly mandatory...
Yes, I hope that international trade in pipe tobacco will not cease altogether because of that "Sale only allowed in the United States" clause.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wonder if any sane human being believes that warning label prevents a single person from purchasing the tobacco? That further proves just how incredibly stupid our government is. How many trees though are killed to fabricate the label with the warning? And if you took the total cost of labels and spent it on cancer research, could something better be accomplished? Common sense is not at all common these days.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It is unfortunate to see the United States follow the same path as Europe, Canada, Australia et cetera towards insane warning labels that destroy tin art. I had considered the US to be the last bastion in the Western World against such overregulation. I was wrong...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I don't know. The trend seems to be in the opposite direction such as plain packaging with zero branding plus extreme warnings.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Based on my observations,there are no sane bastions left out there,I just got a pack of Chinese cigarettes,and there was warning texts printed on the lower package surface, even in Russia, Egypt are all the same, warning texts and pictures are present.meanwhile surfaces of our domestic pipe tobacco packages & tins ,cigarette packs and cigar boxes are covered 90% with the aforementioned labels and texts,this make me sick, all the artwork and aesthetics are completely ruined today.Yet,I was wondering If some day in the distant future they will stop printing these nonsense nightmares like pictures.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I think the warning labels must be effective in killing tobacco. Perhaps it creates pressure from family and friends. I don't know. Maybe every potentially dangerous thing should have a huge warning label. Cars could be painted with images of car crash victims. Perhaps scenes of horror can be placed on beer bottles. There is really no end to the possibilities. Apparently we need to be protected from ourselves.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Maybe every potentially dangerous thing should have a huge warning label.
People of all ages ingest toxic substances on a daily basis that are fully approved by the FDA.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Thanks, Seldom, for the details. I noticed the new declaration in my last couple of orders as well.
Are tobaccos now segregated to countries, or is this a US thing only?
A couple of the Dunhill tins I've gotten recently look like they were originally intended for the UK market.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Worldwide, it's nothing new for tobaccos to be restricted to a specific market but I guess legislation is forcing the hand of US companies to make it explicit now.

Status
Not open for further replies.