PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
We are a tobacco manufacturer not a tin manufacturer (although we did look at the latter but costs were prohibitive). C&D are round tins. Everyone knows that round tins are much easier to get a better seal on due to the design. They are also much more expensive to produce, more difficult to label and do not pack and ship or display as well. It has all been considered.

Given the moans when taxes go up, when costs have to go up because of labour costs, packaging costs etc I very much doubt everyone would be happy if prices had to jump considerably because every tin was placed in a vacuum seal bag after tinning. And there would still be those moaning that the seal did not last......and how would this work for track and trace and labelling?

There are "natural tobaccos" and "chemical free" tobaccos. We sell one in the UK (hand rolling). It's a good seller BUT its very dry and dusty.

Whilst all these "expert" comments are great unless you are also an expert on track and trace requirements for the UK and Europe, labelling requirements, security feature requirements for HMRC and other tax authorities and exactly how labels have to go on and where and what can be used and what cannot be used in tobacco packaging, labelling etc.....then all the "make better tins", "put it in a bag" etc are pointless. There is far more to consider just to ensure that legally we are allowed to carry on producing and selling tobacco.
I buy my Coniston Cut Plug in the big bags! Tins are for “collectors” of tobacco who like to display them. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: fireground_piper

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
I buy my Coniston Cut Plug in the big bags! Tins are for “collectors” of tobacco who like to display them. Keep up the good work!
But tins were never made for collecting. This is just some new trend that has come about in recent years. Tins were used so people could easily carry around their tobacco and slip the tin into their pocket or whatever and it stayed relatively fresh from production to smoking. And tobacco was just sold in tins in the 'old days' before pouches became a thing!