PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
As a matter of fact, I'm thinking you should buy a new Dunhill Diplomat 6128 in a chestnut finish. You probably won't like it in which case you can simply sell it on eBay
Nate, how did you know? Instead of me listing it, how about you and I trade Dunhill for one of your best estates‽‽ :wink:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm a novice estate buyer. I've bought estates from SmokingPipes and from a couple of PM members and have had no regrets.
The problem with Fleabay for me is that there are SO many listings, that any money I might theoretically save are more than eaten up by time spent looking. Also, I don't have enough knowledge to know a good deal when I see it.
I buy from the guys here under the assumption that if someone posted a pipe that was significantly over-priced, other members would question it, publicly, loudly and quickly - even if it is another member selling.
I also will buy from those who get consistent kudos from members, e.g., briarblues, walkerbriarworks.
I will probably ask for an inspection period when buying estates. I received one that had a plastic ring that looked silver in the photo. My fault for not researching better - It was very much an impulse buy. I spent no more than five minutes looking at specs before I ordered. It is a Savinelli and it smokes great and the collar is distinctive, though plastic.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You make it sound like FleaBay has just exploded with pipes when you say there are 30,000 or so pipes currently listed. Now the question is with the explosion of FleaBay being used as store fronts for individuals who are not auctioning but just listing salable inventory ... well how many of these 30,000 pipes are actual auctions? Probably pretty close or even less than what was 8 years ago.
BTW ... most of the FleaBay store fronts selling pipes are way overpriced and those store fronts that are offering an auction type sale never sell a thing since the starting prices are usually set at what the buy it now price is which is basically full retail price.
Newbie,
I said that prior to the 2007 crash on average there were about 5000 listings on any given day and that now it's about 30,000. Seven years is not sudden, though the market did expand over the following year by about 300%.
As for your assertion that there are less actual auctions today than in 2007, please share your research to back that up. I'd like to know if you actually have some figures for that as opposed to just pulling that out of your fundament.
I understand that you like to toss bombs here because you get to feel all warm and gooey, but face it, but most of yours are duds.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Some of us like to do the restoration of what may, at first glance, look like a dud. Some of my favorite pipes, estate or otherwise, are ones that required substantial effort and time, may not have smoked great on the first couple of tries, but ended up winners. The result is something that I take a great deal of pride in; hopefully the same pride that the maker put into it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love estate pipes. Gives me a chance to have a much broader spectrum to my pipe collection. I like new, but I have zero problems with estates.
And some, like the older Kaywoodies or whatnot, are a piece of history and are neat pieces of Americana. Can't beat that!

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
briarblues smashes this out of the park and goes Preferred Member purple in the process. Top notch all the way around. Congrats to one of our finest contributors.
j/B

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I think Mike could have posted his bit and this thread could have been closed, because he said it all. Lol, thanks for all your continued knowledge and wisdom over the years, Mike!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mike left out my favorite collector, the shape collector. Marque doesn't really count, condition is a factor, but this collector is primarily after shapes. I knew a guy that collected "bull dogs" and as far as he was concerned the Rhodesian was classed as such under his "rules of acquisition." He must have had a hundred of them when he died. His daughter let me select one which I still have. This was pre-eBay days but, I suspect he'd have been on the site day and night if it had existed.
And then there are the collectors of clays or meers. Some collectors are really focused, others not so much.

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
I like a variety of pipes. One of them is Celius free hands. The pipe maker is now

deceased. These pipes are now coveted by many collectors. I have made several estate

purchases and have been more than satisfied. However making a purchase on a new pipe is

always a thrill .

" Happy Mortal ! He who knows pleasure which a pipe bostow's "

Isaac Hawkins Brown

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Buying pipes takes knowledge. It takes great care and practice. It takes the utmost of patience.
Well said Mike, that observation covers new and estate pipe purchases nicely. I often tell new pipe smokers not to spend much money on pipes in the first year of their experience. I know my tastes changed dramatically over those first 12 months of enjoying the pipe.
I often wonder what prompted a pipe smoker to sell a particular piece. I imagine some folks have wondered the same thing for pipes that I list. I've sold pipes that didn't work well for my use but are beloved by the new owner. The amount of variables effecting someones satisfaction are huge. Sometimes it is simply a financial motivator prompting a sale.
I watch hundreds of Ebay auctions weekly from the makers that I enjoy. Over time, that gave me a decent perspective on how a particular piece will sell. It's fun to come up with a final bid price and then see how close you came. As Mike said, when entering the world of rare collectibles, anything can and does happen. (which is also fun to watch unfold)

Status
Not open for further replies.