PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthpipe

Lurker
Dec 9, 2017
Chapin, SC
Noob here. Been smoking a pipe for about 6 months. Started and still smoking aromatics. I have branched out to English (frog Morton cellar) and tried Orlick Golden Sliced. I like the full bodied feeling of the English but want to try some perique. Can you guys and gals help a fat guy out and give some recommendations for a good perique based tobacco. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Acadian Perique

Luxury Bullseye Flake

Elizabethan

Salty Dogs

Bayou Morning

Triple Play

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
If you like both perique and latakia, try GLP Quiet nights. It's a great smoke that highlights both tobaccos brilliantly.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
For clarification, there aren't many perique based blends. This is a condiment tobacco that does very well in small doses. So you'll find Virginia based blends with perique as a component. And other based blends. Enjoy experimenting!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You might try Prince Albert as that has always seemed like a good starting point to me when people say they want to switch to the pipe. It also has the added advantage of being capable of being used as a RYO in the event of suffering from gasper withdrawal symptoms!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
All excellent recommendations.
I will also throw in to the ring some of Va/per's I enjoy: Rattray's Marlin Flake, Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake, McClelland's St James Woods and McClelland's 2015.
Also since you're newly branching out from Aro's I highly highly highly recommend you pick up some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. It's a great virginia with a very light flavoring.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Escudo is the Vaper which all others are judged by( now that the real 3 Nuns is discontinued). If you like that then you will like a variety of vapers most likely.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As far the undersigned is concerned, can't take those punchy&peppery perique mixtures,so my choice is either Old Gowrie By Rattray, Dark Flake by Duhill,and when its summer then this would be either Orlik Golden or Solani 633.

darthpipe

Lurker
Dec 9, 2017
Chapin, SC
Thanks for all the suggestions. Bayou night was smoked today and I really enjoyed it. Acadian and Quiet Nights are in route. Definitely a lot to take in and can’t wait to to start the journey

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I'll add a bagged bulk or two for your consideration.

All the Daughter's and Ryan Rimboche blends offer you perique in those blends, as well as does Picayne, by D&R.

Of the Rimboche's, I would suggest that the Rimboche S.J. might be the place to start.

I've got one treasured tin of Marlin Flake and one of Escudo. Both are contenders for this year's Xmas eve bowl, but I've held on to them for a few years now, and will probably just look at em.

If you enjoy the perique, I recommend getting some to blend with your own base varietal. Again, a bagged bulk like Windsail from D&R is a nice VA to use for this.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Escudo is the Vaper which all others are judged by
It's funny Harris for some reason I find Escudo bland and boring. I bought a 15 or so year old tin from Steve Fallon hoping I would like it and it is certainly better than fresh but not what I was hoping for. :crying:
On the other hand Marlin Flake I find to be sweet and delicious.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
There's blends the have Perique in them and there's blends that have the rite amount of Perique in them !!

Status
Not open for further replies.